11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 8:58 AM by Harm Millaard

Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?

PremiereObserver

I have a Sony HDR-SR11, and am trying to capture a live feed (in HD) to Premiere Pro. There is no firewire/miniDV/iLink out on the HDR-SR11, so I'm left with USB and mini HDMI as options. I'm using the USB connection since my computer does not have an HDMI port (what a surprise...). Under Premiere Pro > Preferences > Device Control, I can select Sony as the brand, but the HDR-SR11 does not show up on the list of device types. Can it be added? Will that solve my problem? The only other way I can find to connect the HDR-SR11 to the computer is by purchasing a HDMI card (such as this one, which claims compatibility with Premiere Pro CS4) and connecting via a mini-HDMI > HDMI cord. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You connect your camera to you pc with usb and with the software provided by the camera you copy your files from the camera to the pc.

After doing so you can import your files into Premiere.

You can use the hdmi connection to watch your footage directly from camera on a hdtv.

• 2. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere on it's own can only work with Firewire.  You can add third party cards like the Intensity from BlackMagic which would add HDMI capture.

• 3. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

LIVE FEED is not possible with that camera.

• 4. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
                PremiereObserver Level 1

Thanks Jim,

Do you know if the Sony HDR-SR11 specifically will allow live capture via an HDMI card? It has been suggested that the camcorder does not support live streaming via USB or HDMI, but I'm hoping to find out that the HDMI option will in fact work. I don't have a mini HDMI -> HDMI cord yet, so I can't test this, but my assumption would be that if the camcorder allowed a live stream when plugged into a TV, it might allow live stream to the HDMI card.

• 5. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

You have to check the circuitry in the camera, and specifically the location of the HDMI chip in relation to the DSP, to be sure what HDMI signal will be given out, but my guess is that it is compressed. This will mean that you not only lose all timecode information and all metadata, but will also lose quality in comparison to normal firewire output for the simple reason that the signal, as recorded, will be decoded and possibly scaled to pass thru the HDMI, then be scaled/re-encoded for storage on the PC. HDMI is intended for viewing, video transfer. Firewire is for data transfer without loss, or in your case a plain file copy. What do you want to achieve with HDMI transfers?

All those efforts seem utterly meaningless, unless you only output to BR. In every other case it seems like a very convoluted way to work. You have to consider that all cameras that I know of, have the HDMI chip located in such a way that there is no way to get a 4:2:2 signal out of the camera, only uprezzed and converted 4:2:0  signals, that have already suffered MPEG compression. Another thing to consider is that few PC's are capable of handling the 1.485 Gbps stream from a 4:2:2 HD that you can get from HD-SDI. USB precludes, based on bandwidth, uncompressed 4:2:2 signals.

• 6. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

my guess is that it is compressed.

HDMI passes only uncompressed video.

• 7. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Do you know if the Sony HDR-SR11 specifically will allow live capture via an HDMI card?

Hook the camera up to an HDTV via HDMI.  If you see a live picture without specifically recording, it should work.

• 8. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

will also lose quality in comparison to normal firewire

The reverse is likely to be true.  Firewire typically is used after the material has been recorded to tape, meaning it's been compressed.  HDMI ports typically take their signal before encoding, so it's higher bandwidth uncompressed compared to Firewire.  Meaning HDMI will give you a better picture, albeit without metadata or timecode info.

• 9. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not true Jim. While it is true that the HDMI signal is full rez, it is still coming from the compressed and encoded source, so it is uprezzed and padded in colorspace to suggest a full rez signal. So that is your first loss. Then you lose all timecode and metadata, a second loss, and then the potential scaling in the NLE may give you a further loss.

Even the higher priced Sony cameras (around the $ 4 to 6 K range) do not output the full signal before encoding, but only an uprezzed and padded signal. The HDMI chip is located on the wrong side of the DSP to allow for a full, umcompressed signal.

• 10. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

the HDMI signal is full rez, it is still coming from the compressed and encoded source

That will depend on where the port is in the chain.  It may well be that Sony's don't do it right.  I don't know.  I have read that Pannys put it in the loop before compression (which to me is the only sensible design).

• 11. Re: Sony HDR-SR11: Live Feed to Premiere Pro?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

That is why I said that you need to check the circuitry on the board in the camera to be sure.