6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 8:37 AM by the_wine_snob

images disappear after each restart...?

NiuEdu

...but the sound remains (though, sometimes not!) I wonder why my images in the timeline are visually still there but, when I launch the project to be played, every once in a while an erro's board means that media are offline... Why is that, please and I will I correct that situation?

UdeUin (Claude)

• 1. Re: images disappear after each restart...?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Claude,

Please tell us more about your Project, especially the Assets. Where did they come from? What is their format/CODEC? [Use G-Spot to gather this info.] Where are these Assets stored, an external HDD maybe? Have you Moved, Renamed any of these Assets?

Sounds like you have two possible issues going on, and the answers to the above questions will give us someplace to start with.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, if you do a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen with the file(s) loaded, it will save you a lot of writing. Use the little "camera" icon in the middle of the editing screen's toolbox.

What to look for in G-Spot:

G-Spot Screen 01.jpg

• 2. Re: images disappear after each restart...?
            NiuEdu Level 1

Before I know if my question has been answered, I have to try what I've been said...

I'm pretty sure though, that  it is at least a good start to investigate. I'll do it as soon as I can and sure comme back to that discussion to update the whole thing... (Actually, its my daughter who handle that project and we must be together to act that way)

Thank you very much.

Claude

• 3. Re: images disappear after each restart...?
              NiuEdu Level 1

Here I am as promised... I finally found what GSpot stand for (I'm less than a beginner, and, as it shows, not at ease with English writing)

So, I include some screen captures in order to provide some cue to find the solution I'm asking for...

Thank you again and, sorry fot the delay.

• 4. Re: images disappear after each restart...?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Claude,

Thanks for the screen-caps. From the G-Spot screen, it appears that you have Imported VOB's, or at least from VOB's. These are MPEG-2 files, and can cause some issues. However, it also appears that you have Imported them, so I'm going to take a guess here: when you did the Import, did you do so FROM the DVD's, or did you copy over the various VOB files to your computer, and then Import from there? I would suspect the first. If that is the case, there is probably a bit of confusion on what Import does. It does NOT copy the source files at all. It only links to the location where the source files WERE, when you Imported them. If you did the Import FROM the DVD's, they will need to be in the drive(s), for PrPro to work with them. If you did this from several, there will be more work to do, to get things working properly. If this is your case, we'll talk more about what you'll want to do.

If you did copy the VOB files FROM the DVD's onto your system, there could be other problems with why PrPro is seeing them as Offline. If this is the case, we'll talk more about how to try and fixt that too.

I will say that working with VOB's and the MPEG-2 files that they can contain is probably not the best workflow. However, you seem to be well into your Project, based on the Timeline screen-cap. If they have been working so far, we won't get into other ways of doing it. Just know that there are better workflows for the next Project.

Good luck, and let me know the process that you used to get your VOB files onto your computer and into PrPro. Each method will require some different techniques.

Hunt

PS MPEG-2's Imported from VOB's CAN often cause Audio problems. Let's get the Media Offline issue solved first, and then we'll work on the Audio issues.

• 5. Re: images disappear after each restart...?
                  NiuEdu Level 1

Thanks for the screen-caps. From the G-Spot screen, it appears that you have Imported VOB's, or at least from VOB's.

What VOB's letters stand for?

Maybe! ; my daughter did it 5 months ago (the import) and she's not sure the way she used - It was directly from the camera to the computer by the usb cable I think, and, only the images downloaded at that time were sill available...  Actually, these files are stocked in a folder as .mov. Is this ok?

These are MPEG-2 files, and can cause some issues. However, it also appears that you have Imported them, so I'm going to take a guess here: when you did the Import, did you do so FROM the DVD's, or did you copy over the various VOB files to your computer, and then Import from there?

Not from a dvd, directly from the camera...

I would suspect the first. If that is the case, there is probably a bit of confusion on what Import does. It does NOT copy the source files at all. It only links to the location where the source files WERE, when you Imported them. If you did the Import FROM the DVD's, they will need to be in the drive(s), for PrPro to work with them. If you did this from several, there will be more work to do, to get things working properly. If this is your case, we'll talk more about what you'll want to do.

The files are all the same type and in the same folder...

If you did copy the VOB files FROM the DVD's onto your system, there could be other problems with why PrPro is seeing them as Offline. If this is the case, we'll talk more about how to try and fixt that too.

I will say that working with VOB's and the MPEG-2 files that they can contain is probably not the best workflow. However, you seem to be well into your Project, based on the Timeline screen-cap. If they have been working so far, we won't get into other ways of doing it. Just know that there are better workflows for the next Project.

Good luck, and let me know the process that you used to get your VOB files onto your computer and into PrPro. Each method will require some different techniques.

Hunt

PS MPEG-2's Imported from VOB's CAN often cause Audio problems. Let's get the Media Offline issue solved first, and then we'll work on the Audio issues.

It's correct!

Claude

I do hope giving you some answer providing you the cue in order to find the good way to resolve the whole thing... Thank you very much!

• 6. Re: images disappear after each restart...?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Claude,

A .VOB file is a Video Object file. It normally contains MPEG-2 muxed (combined Audio & Video) files, but can contain a lot more, such as instructions for the set-top player, subtitles, the Menus and other navigational info. This is why it is difficult to work with them. If they ONLY contain the MPEG-2 AV files, or that can be directly accessed by PrPro, these can be edited with limitation. Some have luck just renaming the .VOB file to .MPEG. In certain cases, that works fine, but can fail because the file has more than just the MPEG-2 AV file. You might get some good ideas from this Encore FAQ Article.

One bit of luck is that your camera produces these .VOB files, so there are not likely to be any Menus, subtitles, or similar, in them. In your case, just renaming a Copy of them to [File name].MPEG might work for you.

Now, PrPro CS4 has just added more .VOB support with the 4.1 update. If you have much of this type of material, you might want to consider an upgrade from CS3 to CS4.1.

Maybe! ; my daughter did it 5 months ago (the import) and she's not sure the way she used - It was directly from the camera to the computer by the usb cable I think, and, only the images downloaded at that time were sill available...  Actually, these files are stocked in a folder as .mov. Is this ok?

Now, I am confused. If the files came from a miniDVD recording camera, I would expect them to be .VOB, or .MPEG, and not .MOV. Do you possibly have files from different sources? Could you, or your daughter, have converted these files to .MOV, say in QuickTime Pro Player? The .MOV format is also a "container," or "wrapper," in that it can contain a lot of different files inside. G-Spot, which we used earlier, does not do such a good job with .MOV files, but should yield some useful info. Open the file in Apple QuickTime Player and then hit Ctrl-J. This will give you the properties of your .MOV files.

Good luck,

Hunt