2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 7:55 PM by chuyler1

How can I print something larger than the browser window?

chuyler1

i would like to use the following APIs...

PrintJob.start()

PrintJob.addPage()

PrintJob.send()

...to print a chart displayed in the user's browser as part of a full-screen Flash application.  This works fine if the browser window is larger than the available print job page size.  However when the browser window is smaller, the print out is clipped.  How do i resolve this?  Is there an object I can add my Sprite to that will not get clipped by the bounds of the browser window?

• 1. Re: How can I print something larger than the browser window?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you should be able to print any sprite/movieclip no matter its size (within limits, possibly 2880x2880 px).  but it won't fit on one printed page without resizing so just what are you trying to print?

• 2. Re: How can I print something larger than the browser window?
            chuyler1 Level 1

I have a product that displays various charts.  When the user clicks print, I want to scale each chart to the full size of a sheet of 8.5x11 paper.  If the user doesn't select landscape I am rotating a bitmap of the chart so it still fills the paper.  However, if their screen is set to say 800x600 and the browser's window is only 500 pixels tall, I can only fill about 2/3 of the sheet of paper even though my object is sized to PrintJob.paperHeight/paperWidth.

I'm experimenting now with using ExternalInterface to resize the DOM object before starting the print job with hopes that it will prevent the clipping.