11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 4:48 PM by bobpatrick1

Audio won't play after audio render

jdmoor Level 1

I have an MP3 on audio track 1 in Premiere/CS4, placed underneath video clips which I've unlinked from the audio and deleted/cleared those unlinked audio files.  The MP3 file plays fine until I render the timeline and then it stops playing.  If I 'double click' the file (placing it back in the source window) it plays fine there, but won't play in the timeline.  I've included the file properties below.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix the problem?

Type: MP3 Audio
      File Size: 4.2 MB
      Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - compressed - Stereo
      Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
      Total Duration: 00:03:03:32868
      Average Data Rate: 23 KB / second

• 1. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Trial version?

• 2. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
            jdmoor Level 1

CS4 .. not a trial version .. fully licensed.

• 3. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Strange. Further details may be needed.

• 4. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
                jdmoor Level 1

I just purchased and loaded CS4 about a week or so ago.  I've had a lot of issues with CS4, at least in my mind .. comparing CS2, CS3 to CS4.  As so many others on this forum have mentioned, CS4 is sluggish, freezes (seem like a memory leak to me), various other 'quirks' and this audio thing.  This isn't the first problem like this I've had, I just haven't posted a question on the forum.  Sometimes, I have to change a setting to get Premiere to 'remember' the file is there .. i.e.: change the position slightly on the timeline, alter the db level, etc...seemingly, anything to change the render file and make it re-render the audio files.

I thought maybe I should move from XP Pro to Vista 64, but I'm not convinced that would make any real difference.  Although the CS4 sales hype makes CS4 sound like a great and wonderful application, my experience thus far isn't exactly stellar.   :-( 

• 5. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
                  joshtownsend Level 2

Youd be better moving to Vista 64 or Win 7 64 no matter what NLE you decide to use.

• 6. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I encountered issues, similar to yours, with Audio captured from miniDV via PrPro 2.0, which was already conformed to the Project's specs. Everything would work fine, and then with a random Render, Audio would go "flatline." Mine would NOT play in the Source Monitor and the Waveform was a silent, flat line. This might be during the 10th Render, or maybe the 2nd. There was much discussion on that (lost in the Adobe forum archives), but no real explanation, only the workaround of using the M key, or just replacing the instance of the Audio source file from the Project Panel. This happened well into the editing process, and often after many successful Renders.

Now, that does not address your particular problem. Most MP3 issues have revolved around Import, not going "flatline" after a Render. First, I only work with MP3's as very short SFX files. Any larger MP3 Audio Asset is first converted to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit in Audition before Import into PrPro. For you, the first thing that I'd try would be Render/Replace. This should get you the conformed WAV file. See how that goes. If it's a no-go, then take your MP3 into SoundBooth, Audition, or the freeware, Audacity, and Export as a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit file. Import that into PrPro and manually replace your MP3 with it.

Good luck, and please, please do not even think about XP-64. It is an evolutionary dead-end. All that was good is now in Win7 (or Vista 64).

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
                      jdmoor Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the reply.  Your story is surprisingly similar to what I'm

experiencing.  I could do a MP3 to WAV conversion, but that defeats the

purpose of storing my (growing) music library in MP3 for space conservation.

Seems I'm finding I have to do a lot of 'work arounds' with CS4. 

Thanks,

Jd

• 8. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I could do a MP3 to WAV conversion, but that defeats the

purpose of storing my (growing) music library in MP3 for space conservation.

I understand the space problem. Only do this for files that you are using as Assets, Imported into PrPro, if they give you a problem.

Seems I'm finding I have to do a lot of 'work arounds' with CS4.

Well, it does seem that you are not alone on this one. However, my problem came with PrPro 2.0. In my case, it only happened once, but did affect about a dozen Audio files in several Sequences. Did not realize the magnitude of my issue, and only observed it after a busy day of trying to Keyframe some Effects and doing multiple Renders to check things out. One moment all Audio in that section was playing well - next moment (after one more Render) dead. Others, who replied to my thread indicated that it had happened to them too, in similar circumstances. Trouble was, none of us could duplicate it and some had this happen on their first Render, while I'd probably done a dozen that morning. Have never had it happen again, and finished that Project with hundreds more Renders, just like I'd done, with not one problem. I certainly can not call it a Bug, as there was no way for anyone to reproduce it. Still, whatever allows it to happen, under the right (or wrong) circumstances seems to be around two generations later. Hey, phases of the Moon?

Good luck, and let's hope that neither of us sees this behavior again,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
                          bobpatrick1

I'm also experiencing a Premier CS4/01 glitch with flaky audio on Windows Vista 32.

My MP3 music background is on Audio 3.

After rendering titles, transitions, etc., the audio cannot be heard.  When I save, exit and re-open the project, it plays fine.  This is getting tedious.  Like other users who have posted here, my track plays fine in the source window but can't be heard in the timeline/playback.

I've replaced the track in various orientations but no solution there, either.

Suggestions?

• 10. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Have you tried opening your MP3's in SoundBooth and then Saving them as PCM/WAV? A Render/Replace should do the same thing. How do they behave with either of these operations?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - because of various problems with MP3 source files, I only use them for tiny SFX files and never for anything more.

• 11. Re: Audio won't play after audio render
                              bobpatrick1 Level 1

Thanks, much, Hunt. I'll give it a try.

My appreciation for all your efforts in the Forum. As a new user, it's been an invaluable assist --- as have you.

Bob

In a message dated 09/21/09 16:46:01 Pacific Daylight Time, forums@adobe.com writes:

Bob,

Have you tried opening your MP3's in SoundBooth and then Saving them as PCM/WAV? A Render/Replace should do the same thing. How do they behave with either of these operations?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - because of various problems with MP3 source files, I only use them for tiny SFX files and never for anything more.