9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 10:31 PM by Mylenium

No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2

burksworks

I have been using After Effects CS4 to work with .m2ts files from my Canon HF10 with no problem up until now.  I just applied the latest update, 9.0.2, and now I can no longer work with .m2ts files.

When I load a project which uses .m2ts files, it treats the files like missing assets.  If I try to replace footage with another .m2ts file, an error window immediately pops up upon selecting the file:

After Effects error: Can't import file "myfile.m2ts":

unsupported filetype or extension.

( 0 :: 1 )

If I try to create a new project and import a new .m2ts file, I get the same error message.

What happened to .m2ts support with this update?

• 1. Re: No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

burksworks wrote:

What happened to .m2ts support with this update?

It got "fixed" with some side effects, apparently. If you can provide a snippet of your footage, we can investigate. As a first step you should clean out your Media Cache from the respective preferences page. The issue may merely depend on the validity of the conformed media files and their containing possibly outdated info. If you are using a suite, You may need to do the same in Premiere, assuming your files originated there and were imported as a project or via copy&paste into AE. If that doesn't work, uninstalling and rolling back to 9.0.1 seems the most reasonable thing to do,but of course you could use DynaimcLink from Premiere or convert your footage with otehr methodsas well.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2
            ChrisProsser Adobe Employee

We have found the following case:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/05/after_effects_902_update_red_r.html

There's a known issue with a specific update scenario:

If you downloaded the After Effects 9.0 trial, then updated to After Effects 9.0.1, and then activated the application with a serial number after purchasing a license (all in exactly that order), then the After Effects 9.0.2 update will fail to update your third-party content, like the Cycore (CC) effect plug-ins. It appears that uninstalling the third-party content and then restarting the application will cause the updated third-party content to be installed correctly.

If this doesn't work for you, please let us know on the After Effects user-to-user forum, and we'll try to help you through it. There's also contact information for Adobe Technical Support on the home page of that forum, and you can get free assistance with many installation issues.

See the After Effects 9.0.2 release notes for other known issues.

On windows you'll have an entry in Control Panels/Programs and Features (at least on Vista, don't know the XP equivelent anymore). On the mac, it will be in /Application/Utilities/Adobe Installer.

-chris

• 3. Re: No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2
              burksworks Level 1

I tried cleaning out my Media Cache files, but it didn't help.  I don't think this is related to cache, even newly created projects using newly created AVCHD footage have this same problem.  I cannot import any .m2ts files (created by my Cannon HF10... I don't have access to any other .m2ts files to test if this is specific to the HF10.)

I was able to wrap my file in a Premiere Pro project and import it using dynamic link.  This isn't a great workaround... for some reason each frame takes much longer to render this way.

Attached is a very short .m2ts file I created so I could attach it to this post (5 MB limit).

@ChrisProsser:

I'm not sure how this is relevant.  Are you saying the problem with .m2ts files may be related to third-party plugins?  I'm not using anything besides what was installed with CS4.

Thanks,

Graham

• 4. Re: No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2

I'll investigate this on my machines (PC and Mac) and check back (assuming I don't forget ). Thanks for providing the snippet.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2
                  Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                  I'm not sure how this is relevant.  Are you saying the problem with .m2ts files may be related to third-party plugins?  I'm not using anything besides what was installed with CS4.

Burksworks: This is relevant because support for H264-based formats (like AVCHD) requires technologies licensed from a third party developer. And thus, it may be affected in that very specfic scenario like other third party contents installed by After Effects (ie, not third plug-ins you aquire, but those which are included with After Effects).

Please try the steps suggested by Chris and let us know if it solves the problem for you.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2
                    yenaphe Level 4

The file plays back perfectly on my machine, using AE 9.0.2.

So i would defenitly have a look at Chris suggestion. Tell us if it works.

• 7. Re: No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2
                      burksworks Level 1

FIXED!

I could not find an option to only uninstall Third Party Content from the control panel, so I decided to just download the 9.0.2 update again and reinstall it.  The splash screen said:

Click next to install the following update.

• Adobe After Effects CS4 Third Party Content 9.0.2
                      • Adobe Dynamiclink Support 1 - Already Installed
                      • Adobe After Effects CS4 9.0.2 - Already Installed

So obviously the Third Party Content part of the update had been skipped by the Adobe Updater.  Simply running the update install fixed the problem and I can now work with .m2ts files again.

• 8. Re: No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2
                        Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Great to hear you're up and running again with your AVCHD files.

• 9. Re: No .m2ts support after updating to 9.0.2

Glad it worked or else I would have been kinda stumped. The file worked without problems on my systems, too.

Mylenium