8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2009 10:44 AM by geokr

Got the horsepower?

geokr

I have a 6 year old Sony VAIO with two Intel Pentium 4 3Mhz processors and 2 gig RAM that has worked well with PE2 and 3 but need to upgrade to PE7 for my new AVCHD camera.  It may be an ignorant question but this dual processor isn't the same as a dual core processor is it?  Is this camera going to cost me a new computer or can I muddle through with my trusty VAIO?

• 1. Re: Got the horsepower?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on the programs used, and how the OS handles multiple processors, you might be able to get by. Dual processors can be better than a single duo-core, but much will depend on the MoBo and BIOS and also on several other factors.

I'd say give it a try. You might benefit from adding two additional GB's of RAM, but that is likely to be very inexpensive, especially for older MoBo's. I'd also look at the number, size and speed of your HDD's, plus how they are allocated.

In the end, you might well need to look into a new box. Go for a quad-core, or maybe two, should you make the jump.

I'm faced with the same problem, but do have the time to let some mfgr's. get out their dual 7i's and work out any kinks.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Got the horsepower?
            Kodebuster Level 3

I'm not into AVCHD at this point in time, but I have been reading posts to this forum for a while.

When it comes to AVCHD, it requires a well tuned system, and the bigger and faster it is, the better.

Anything less than a Quad Core will be wrought with nothing but pain and grief.

Some would also say that if you have a bare bones middle-of-the-road Quad, you might get by, but only if the stars are in alignment...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Got the horsepower?
              Paul_LS Level 4

I agree with Kodebuster... even my quad core Q6600 struggles with AVCHD. You will certainly be able to edit AVCHD with your machine but it might be a frustrating process.

However as Hunt says you can give it a try, why not download the PE7 trial version and give it a try out. If you dont have any AVCHD clips there are plenty of samples that you can download from the internet.

• 4. Re: Got the horsepower?
                geokr Level 1

I'm beginning to think this camera is going to get very expensive.  I bought it to take underwater HD video and the extra equipment alone has cost a bundle (but I get to dive).  I will try the trial version of PE7 and see what happens.  What is there to lose?

• 5. Re: Got the horsepower?
                  Paul_LS Level 4

If your processor power is limited then you could try AVCHD Upshift. It is relatively inexpensive ($50) and will batch convert AVCHD to high quality, high bit rate HDV MPEG2. Your computer will easily handle the HDV MPEG2 clips

http://www.newbluefx.com/avchd-upshift.html

• 6. Re: Got the horsepower?
                    geokr Level 1

Thanks for the steer - I'll try the trial version to see if it produces decent results and let you know.  I have Vegas Pro which came with the camera but haven't loaded it yet - seems to big and complex for the simple editing I do - will it do the same thing?

• 7. Re: Got the horsepower?
                      Paul_LS Level 4

I also have Vegas Pro, it will suffer the same limitations as PE7 regarding computer horsepower. You would still need to use AVCHD Upshift.

• 8. Re: Got the horsepower? Test Results
                        geokr Level 1

Well, here it is....I tried the trial versions of PE7 and AVCHD Upshift and the answer is yes it will work and no it doesn't.  Trying to get a true HD file resulted in numerous crashes, though, if I defragmented my 2 gigs of memory I got better results.  I was unable to get my computer to produce anything resembling HD but was able to burn a disk with SD quality and smooth motion and audio though there were some artifacts like vertical banding in bright areas.  Tried creating mpeg2 and H.264 files but no dice.  Some playbacks were in slow motion with the audio going off and on every half second or so.  Upshift was very easy to use and converted the .mts files quickly without serious loss of quality.  I finally tried the 720p HD setting in PE7 but the playback was slow.  I posted it on vimeo at http://vimeo.com/5153049 it you're interested.

I'm just getting started in this medium and have a lot to learn but what I learned so far is I need a new computer with more than enough horsepower or I'm going to be wasting a lot of time.  I guess I'm expecting video as fantastic as the source data I took underwater in Cozumel last month (spectacular diving!). but ain't getting it with what I've got.  Probably going to have to skip a dive trip and put the money in upgrading the equipment.  Any recommendations on new, or even used hardware would be most welcomed!

Thanks very much to all for all the help you provided - I'll be back with better results next time!