7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 11:19 AM by One_Life

Best way to learn Flash Builder 4?

One_Life

Can someone refer me to some good examples to try out with Flash Builder 4, or other suggested learning material.  I've looked at some of the tutorials, but would like to use some examples.

(note I have some background -- a 3 day course in Flex 3, and 2 days in LifeCycle services -- that I took one year ago - thanks).

• 1. Re: Best way to learn Flash Builder 4?
          David_F57 Level 5

If the course you took is the one I'm thinking of you should have recieved fairly comprehensive course material including zip files of all the lessons in both the base and completed format. These will work in Flashbuilder as you only need to change from the gumbo SDK to the Flex 3 sdk. It would be better for you to become familiar again with the course material before venturing into the Flex4(gumbo) side of things. There are several issues with Flashbuilder IDE  that will hinder the learning/memory refreshing process.

Reality is, unless you really know what you are doing beta environments are not a good chioce as a learning playground unless pain is your friend .

• 2. Re: Best way to learn Flash Builder 4?
            SunilAdobe Adobe Employee

The Help - > Flash Builder Start Page can be helpful, check it out and let us know.

When you say >>I've looked at some of the tutorials, but would like to use some examples<<, what was that you were trying to find and were you using the livedocs or the bundled help?

• 3. Re: Best way to learn Flash Builder 4?
              tstatler Level 1

The 'Tour de Flex' AIR application has also proven popular with developers learning Flex.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/

Tim

• 4. Re: Best way to learn Flash Builder 4?
                One_Life Level 1

Thanks David_F57 -- Thanks for your thoughts and comments.  I was hoping to learn the new data-centric philosophies of FB4 --  I like to think from a data side in general, given my primarily non-GUI Java/C++ background.  Are there any specific pot-holes you can point out in FB4 ... or should I just simply run Flex 3 and then perhaps FB4 and compare results?

Thanks SunilAdobe -- I was on the start page and didn't see the similar type of example applications that I recall with Flex 3 Start Page.  Just links to tutorials (which currently appear to be broken).   Ideal examples for me at this point start with data driven examples, and then from there I'd like to extend my understanding of the visualization capabilities.

Thanks Tstatler for the tourdeflex reference.

• 5. Re: Best way to learn Flash Builder 4?
                  SunilAdobe Adobe Employee

Thanks One_Life, Regarding broken links and insufficient samples, I have filed a bug http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-20541

• 6. Re: Best way to learn Flash Builder 4?
                    David_F57 Level 5
                    Are there any specific pot-holes you can point out in FB4 ... or should I just simply run Flex 3 and then perhaps FB4 and compare results?

If Flex is not your primary source of income it would be best to put your efforts into Flashbuilder(why waste energy or something that will soon be replaced). Fortunately unlike flash development(CS3/4) the uptake of newer technology(read flashplayer 8 and above) is accepted more readily by software developers. On the data side of things work more with something that fits into your comfort zone for java  maybe Blaze, amfphp is easy to work with for remoting (and easy to debug).

If you really want to appreciate or understand things avoid frameworks(you don't get to learn much relying on little black boxes). Don't trust the design pattern hype there is no need to have several layers of abstraction to define the text color of a button, breaking 1000 lines of code into 100 mxml modules is just plain dumb and doesn't lend itself to debugging.

AS far as potholes in FB4 as with any beta based software things will change and that can be confusing, even now Flashbuilder won't work cleanly with code written using recent SDK builds. When you find examples and tutorials on the net look at the headers of the code and if they use old namespace conventions move on, no need in wasting time on deprecated examples.

http://blog.flexexamples.com/  this is, i think, a great site as it has an ever increasing collection of simple and clean examples.

if you are interested in amfphp - I will be putting up some gumbo applets with code in a few days time, once I am a bit more comfortable with the new IDE, on my site http://gumbo.flashhub.net/

• 7. Re: Best way to learn Flash Builder 4?
                      One_Life Level 1

David_57 -- thanks for your advice as well as the links.  Much Appreciated.