17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 11:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Imported SWF has no audio

OhGreatOne Level 1

When I import an SWF file into PPro CS4, the audio does not get imported with it. When I play the SWF file itself from Windows Explorer, it plays with audio just fine, so the SWF does have audio.

• 1. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
          joshtownsend Level 2

upload the file so we can figure the problem for you. If not give all your premiere settings: footage codect, project settings, Sequence settings and export settings.

• 2. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
            Colin Brougham Level 6

More than likely, you're not going to get the associated audio to come along for the ride by simply importing the SWF file. At least, I've not been able to get it to work. However, there is a fairly simple solution, though it takes a few steps.

1. Download and install WinFF, a free video converter that uses FFMpeg: http://winff.org/html/downloads.html. Incidentally, you could do this with FFMpeg alone, but the WinFF GUI makes it easier.
            2. Open up the SWF in WinFF, and set it up using the settings in the screengrab below:

winff_swf_audio.png

Once you hit "Convert" it will extract the audio to a 16-bit, 48kHz stereo WAV file. I prefer those settings, but you can change the bitrate, sample rate, and mono/stereo if you want. Then, just import your SWF and the extracted audio WAV into PPro, and edit them together.

Hope that helps...

• 3. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
              OhGreatOne Level 1

I'll give this a try when I get a chance, but are you saying that PPro CS4 can't import the audio with a SWF? If so, that's hugely disappointing.

• 4. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                Colin Brougham Level 6

OhGreatOne wrote:

...are you saying that PPro CS4 can't import the audio with a SWF? If so, that's hugely disappointing.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The fact that you can import and edit an esoteric format like SWF at all is pretty amazing. If you're disappointed by this, and you have a large quantity of SWFs to edit, you might want to find an alternate SWF editor solely designed to work with this format.

• 5. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                  OhGreatOne Level 1

I'm not attempting to edit the SWF in PPro; the SWF is a complete clip that I merely want to use as an introductory animation. It's got accompanying music to which the animation is somewhat timed. So I'd just like to import it in and drop it on the timeline, with no further editing required.

• 6. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, but that doesn't change the fact that PPro won't bring in the audio with the SWF, so you'll have to convert the audio somehow, anyway. The process I outlined will take less than three minutes (including downloading and installing WinFF), is completely free, and works perfectly well. When you import the resulting WAV into PPro, along with the SWF, you can marry them in the timeline and everything will be in perfect sync, as it is in the original. If you want, at that point you can select both clips and link them together (Ctrl + L is the default shortcut).

• 7. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                      OhGreatOne Level 1

I'll give it a try, and post my findings.

(It may be a couple weeks before I'm able to do so, however.)

• 8. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                        OhGreatOne Level 1

[Forehead slap]

I don't need to go to quite this much trouble. I created the Flash document, and imported the music file myself. I've still got the original music file, so I don't need to bother extracting it from the SWF...I'll just import it into PPro.

That is, of course, unless PPro can't import an MP3 file.....

• 9. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In general terms, PrPro handles MP3 files just fine. Do let it Conform and generate the PEK file. Depending on Duration, this might be a sip of coffee, or the entire cup.

Now, some MP3 Assets do not do so well. This seems to be whether they have Album Art embedded, or not. Could be other aspects too. Except for tiny SFX snippets, I do not use MP3, and will convert all to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, prior to Import. Audition does this just fine, regardless of what seems to be embedded in the MP3 files. Note: conversion in no way restores the Audio data lost in the MP3 compression - that is gone forever, unless you can get back to the original source material, prior to the MP3 compression.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                            skruncheyT

I tried the same thing (importing my SWF (jing) into PPro - no audio), installed winff, walked through the "fix" and received an error saying that my file was an unknown format even though it is SWF format file. Is there another "fix" I can try? I'm not familiar enough with Flash to do a file conversion there. Any help would be greatly appreciated

• 11. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Generally you don't edit .swf files.  You edit camera originals and create the .swf when you're done.  If you need to change something, you go back to the camera originals.  If you don't have those, only the .swf, then either you deleted something you should not have, or you're working with someone else's finished media - generally a no-no.

• 12. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                                skruncheyT Level 1

JIM~ The SWF was a screen capture created with JING I have to edit it into a larger video file, but when I import it into PPro it doesn't bring the audio in with it. The SWF is the format of the original file, it will not capture in any other format. I don't have "camera originals" because there is no camera, it is all done in the computer, I didn't delete anything and it isn't someone else's file (please give a little credit here).

Still trying to find a solution for my audio issue ThanX!

• 13. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

My recommendation then would be to use different screen capture software, preferably one that records to a proper editing format.  (Or better yet, a hardware scaler that can take the computer output and scale it to video so you can record with a video deck.)

SWFs are generally not meant to be edited.  They're a finished product.

• 14. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                                    skruncheyT Level 1

If I could afford any new software or hardawre,

I would have redone the entire project already instead of trying to find a

"work around" for crappy free screen cap software. I realize that SWFs

are not intended to be edited, but you work with what you can.

My first choice for video format would never have been SWF if I had the choice.

Make the assumption that $$ matters. If you know of anyone willing to give

me Camtasia 6 ($300) or the SWF2Video plug in ($80), great!

If you have suggestions for other screen capture software,

that WON'T cost me anything right now, great! I would love to hear them.

Otherwise still looking for a solution for the audio issue.ThanX

• 15. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                                      Shotster

Colin Brougham wrote:

The fact that you can import and edit an esoteric format like SWF at all is pretty amazing.

And the fact that you can import the video but NOT the audio is utterly baffling! Sorry to jump in here, but I just encountered this issue in CS5, and I'm perplexed. I mean, Adobe is the owner/creator of the SWF format; they're intimately familiar with it. Why would they go to the trouble of allowing video import from a so-called "esoteric" format but not the audio? Surely they're capable of doing whatever magic is required "behind the scenes" to convert the SWF audio into a format that PP can handle. This just makes no sense to me.  :-/

-Steve

• 16. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                                        iandbanks

It's a pain to have to convert the SWF but anyone who is still having this problem, you should just skip the hassle and download the free WinFF program mentioned above.

http://winff.org/html/downloads.html.

I spent a good 2 hours trying to find a different solution (tried importing to after effects, premier, soundbooth, flash [flash couldn't even read the swf], adobe media encoder, even windows movie maker to export audio), no matter what, I couldn't find anything that would let me get the audio. Using this program I got the audio in 5 seconds and paired it to the SWF video in after effects and rendered out a good video in under 5 minutes total.

It sucks that I had to download a new program, but it solved my problem in 5 seconds.

NOTE: If you have a mac, use the built in screen capture software in Quicktime, or even better use Screeny ($14.99). I know it costs, but it's worth every penny. If you use PC I'm not sure what other screen-capture software would be better (in my experience anything is better than Jing's crappy free .swf video I was told to use to send to tech support...).

SECOND NOTE: I had this problem on a PC while trying to record a screenshot for technical support for a product I use so they could diagnose an issue. They recommended I use Jing, which is somewhat nice, but frustrating.

• 17. Re: Imported SWF has no audio
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For screen-caps, I use the workflow outlined in this ARTICLE and Photoshop.

Have not used Jing, but Snag-It gets a lot of good recs. Think I have a very old version, but have yet to use it.

Good luck,

Hunt