7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 1:02 PM by exfish07

Updates failing

exfish07

Hi Group

I am using CS4 on a windows xp pro 64bit machine and do my updates regularly, however the current update for the "Output Module" wont install and fails every time, the same applies to the "Adobe extension manager cs4 2.1". I have no problems with other updates.

Is this a general problem or is it specific to me? Please does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advence to all those that take the time to give sensible answers.

David

• 1. Re: Updates failing
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That one seems specific to your system. Other users have mostly reported Photoshop's Camera Raw not going through, but your issue has not come up. Is it a suite or just AE and other standalone products? In the latter case, e.g. updating Premiere or Encore may interfere...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Updates failing
            exfish07 Level 1

Thanks for the reply,

I am using the master collection CS4. All the updates are done bar the two mentioned.

I assume the extension manager 2.1 is for DW. Perhaps I should also post in the DW forum in case otthers have the same problem.

David

• 3. Re: Updates failing

Extension manager handles Flash, DW and Photoshop extensions as well as some AIR applets. If it's a consolation, you could live without it. I would simply try again, but this time making sure you have cleaned out any temporary update/ patcher download files in teh respective directories. Perhaps it will work this time...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Updates failing
                exfish07 Level 1

Hi there,

I have tried many times to download and each time the install fails.

I note your "making sure you have cleaned out any temporary update/ patcher download files in teh respective directories" I'm afraid I dont understand which files and where, that you suggest I remove. Is there a simple way to do this? Will disc cleanup do this?

Thanks

David.

• 5. Re: Updates failing
                  exfish07 Level 1

Hi there,

I have tried many times to download and each time the install fails.

I note your "making sure you have cleaned out any temporary update/ patcher download files in teh respective directories" I'm afraid I dont understand which files and where, that you suggest I remove. Is there a simple way to do this? Will disc cleanup do this?

Thanks

David.

Have just located the Adobe patch file folder in both program files and deleted contents, tried downloads again, and again they still fail on installation.

• 6. Re: Updates failing

The actual downloaded installs should be in your Temp directory (C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Temp). The extracted patches and sessions in your C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Adobe\Installers folder. If deleting them does not bring any improvements, you may need to delete the caps.db in C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Adobe\caps, or more properly unregister installs with the CS4 Clean Utility, and use standalone install procedures. This will however completely prevent any future automated updates and of course also remove any uninstall options from Add or Remove Programs, so you will have to manually delete everything, should you decide to get rid of it. Still, looks tro me like a complete reinstall with a run of the clean utility would be a better way, even if it's time-consuming and inconvenient.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Updates failing
                      exfish07 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the info,

I ended up uninstalling the whole suite, and also using the clean utility along with the microsoft one.

Re-installed the whole suite and all the updates were fine.

Everything seems to be back to normal.

It seems a pity that a day and a half's work wasted when Adobe could have a simpler repair facility.

Thanks anyway and I'm back in action.

David.