2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 1:37 PM by Sean_Wilson

Director wrapper application

Alex Kernel

Hi guys. I am a flash developer. I am a absolute null in Director. but I need to know the answers on this questions. Is it possible and how? .

and if possible please give me links/tutorials/ways where I should go next for implementation.

we need an Director application that will be a wrapper for another  Director app and for SWF file.

so this application will need to do the following:
      1. Get parameters from the HTML page like flashvars, i.e. dcrURL,

2. Load an external shockwave game(.dcr) using the dcrURL (dcrURl it is external param form 1) )
      3. Load external SWF. Or this swf will be embeded into Director application. BUT this swf should load another external swfs (loadMovie("http"//....bar.swf"))

4. The SWF should be able to get main Shockwave's screen

5. Can this swf use ActionScript 3?

Thanks a lot for any help

• 1. Re: Director wrapper application
          Applied CD Level 1

Hey Alex, I’m in the opposite boat, I’ve been coding Director for decades and I’m just now finishing my third major Flash/AS3 app. for which I also need a Director wrapper. I can answer some of your questions:

Item 3: My main timeline SWF uses the loader class to reach out and load an external swf. This works even when the main timeline swf is played as a Director asset through a projector. I should warn you that my external swf is actually just a relative path to a nearby swf in another directory, it’s not a fully qualified URL but that shouldn’t make any difference.

Item 5: My Flash code is AS3. The listeners and core code seem to work, HOWEVER (this is where my problems start), the XML parser class doesn’t seem to work* and at least one CS3/CS4 component does not work. The component I’m having trouble with is the graphic scroll pane (which also links to via relative path to an external swf source). The scroll plane links to the source swf but for some odd reason the size of the component changes from 700 x 350 to a small 100 x 100 square, very odd.

Note: I haven’t done an once of debugging on my wrapper. I just slapped the swf into Director to see what worked, saw the problems listed above, jumped on line to search for clues and saw your post. I’ll post up more when I’m smarter about this.

*PS: My XML parser is used to populate a combo-box. It just occurred to me that the XML parser is probably working and it’s the CS3 Combo-Box component that isn’t working.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Director wrapper application
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
            1. Get parameters from the HTML page like flashvars, i.e. dcrURL,

Read the docs for externalParamValue() and use sw1 -> sw9

2. Load an external shockwave game(.dcr) using the dcrURL (dcrURl it is external param form 1) )

It's not clear whether the file you want to load should be loaded into the host DCR (as an LDM) or replace it (with gotoNetMovie) - either option is possible

3. Load external SWF. Or this swf will be embeded into Director application. BUT this swf should load another external swfs (loadMovie("http"//....bar.swf"))

Trivial. Set member.filename, or use importFileInto(URL)

4. The SWF should be able to get main Shockwave's screen

You mean the swf needs a screenshot of the stage of the host dcr? Should be possible, depending on direct-to-stage elements. Director can create an image object and pass it to Flash by converting it to a BitmapData object

5. Can this swf use ActionScript 3?

Depends on your Director version (you didn't say...), but the recommendation would be to stay away from AS3 since so much of it isn't supported and you won't get a clear steer on what is, except by trial-and-error, but you could start by assuming that all AS3 components won't work

1 person found this helpful