9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 6:28 AM by stedy76

swf media will not play in reader 9

stedy76

Hello everyone,

Using adobe Illustrator I'm exporting my vector files into swf, then using adobe acrobat 3D version 8, I'm embedding the swf clips using the movie tool into my PDF files. Once saved, the files play without any problems in acrobat. My intended viewer will only have Adobe reader 9, and I've read on many sites/reviews that reader 9 can now view SWF media? but everytime I try I get the following message:

Adobe Reader 9.1

Cannot play media clip because there is no player available that can play the media while satisfying the author's intentions as well as your security settings.

My question is how do I get reader 9.1 to play my swf media clips, that play fine in acrobat?

thanks

Erik

• 1. Re: swf media will not play in reader 9
          Swati_S Level 1

Hi Erik,

While embedding the swf, please make sure that you are not following the "Creating Legacy Multimedia Content" route. In case this is being taken care of, could you attach the swf file here?

Thanks,

Swati

• 2. Re: swf media will not play in reader 9
            stedy76 Level 1

Hello Swati,

Unfortunately I can't attach any swf files (my company is very stringent about this). I can't seem to see the "Creating Legacy Multimedia Content" route? You mentioned, I'm just using the movie tool in Acrobat to embed the swf file, like I say, this works absolutely fine and I can view them as expected in Acrobat. When I open the PDF in Reader, I can’t view the swf content, and get that pop up message I have mentioned. It’s very frustrating when it publicized that Reader 9, supports swf media playback?

any suggestions welcome

Erik

• 3. Re: swf media will not play in reader 9
              Varun Khaneja Level 1

Hi Erik,

You mention that the SWF plays fine with Acrobat 8 (3D) but not with Reader 9 on client machine.

Could you please check whether the SWF plays fine with Reader 9 on the same machine which runs Acrobat? I expect it to work.

On the machine where the SWF needs to be played using Reader 9, could you please check whether SWFs work in Internet Explorer?

To play SWFs inside PDFs generated using Acrobat 8 or earlier, the Flash Player plugin for IE needs to be installed.

If the Flash Player plugin is not installed on this machine, could you please try installing Flash Player plugin for IE and try the SWF again inside Reader 9?

Thanks and best regards,

- Varun

• 4. Re: swf media will not play in reader 9
                stedy76 Level 1

Hello Varun,

I'm not at the stage to share my PDF with the client, so everything I'm doing with SWF/Acrobat 3D 8/Reader 9 is on one machine.

Internet explorer plays my SWF

Acrobat 3D 8 plays my SWF

Flash Player Plugin for IE is installed

Reader 9 does not play my SWF?

Any more suggestions welcome.

• 5. Re: swf media will not play in reader 9
                  Varun Khaneja Level 1

So the SWF works in Acrobat 8 and IE on the machine but not with Reader 9. Unusual.

Would it be possible for you to share the SWF and/or the PDF with me at: varunkATadobeDOTcom?

That would really help in figuring out what's going wrong.

Thanks for all your help on this.

- Varun

• 6. Re: swf media will not play in reader 9
                    Varun Khaneja Level 1

Hi Erik,

Thanks for sending the file across, and sorry for the delay in responding.

I tried running the Flash Multimedia content, and it worked fine on various machines with all Reader 8/9, as well as Acrobat 8/9.

Is it possible for you to try this PDF on another Windows machine (other than the one you've been trying it on; and has Flash Player plug-in installed in IE) and let us know if the Flash content plays right? This would help us in narrowing down the problem.

Sincerely,

- Varun

• 7. Re: swf media will not play in reader 9
                      stedy76 Level 1

"Scratching head" it works fine on any other PC with Reader 9 installed,

Just not on my own PC with Reader 9, but plays fine via acrobat?

Any suggestions?

Erik W Stedman

• 8. Re: swf media will not play in reader 9
                        Varun Khaneja Level 1

Hi Erik,

Could it be that you changed something inside the Reader 9 installation area?

On Windows, that would typically be: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\

Inside the installation area, could you please confirm that you have the folloing files present:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins\Multimedia.api

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins\Multimedia\MPP\Flash.mpp

Also, could you please try re-installing Reader 9 and see if the problem is reproducible?

Thanks,

- Varun

• 9. Re: swf media will not play in reader 9
                          stedy76 Level 1

Hi Varun,

I've checked as you have asked me too and everything you mentioned is there.

Also I have re-installed Reader 9.1 onto my PC and still I get no playback of SWF files in my PDF's, just that error message? but they open and play fine in my local Acrobat 3D 8, and on other pc's with reader 9.1 installed!?

Any other suggestions

Cheers,

Erik