17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 2:53 AM by raymarcher

troubles inporting avi footage

raymarcher

I have the problem in using an imported avi movie, the movie isnt playing, nor in the project window preview/source preview/program preview. What is going wrong, I imported the same movie in another editor costing 50 dollars (AVS video editor) and there it imports/plays fine.

info:

Type: AVI Movie
      File Size: 224,4 MB
      Image Size: 1024 x 576
      Pixel Depth: 0
      Frame Rate: 25,00
      Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
      Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
      Total Duration: 00:02:12:19
      Average Data Rate: 1,7 MB / second
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1,0

codec: ibm motion jpeg

I guess the problem lies with my project settings, where can I change my project settings like resolution etc, like you can do in the beginning when creating a new project?

Tnx for your time...

• 1. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem lies with the codec used. Either use a consumer application like AVS, or convert to an editable format that PR can work with, like DV AVI type2. Your widescreen PAL footage with MJPEG codec is not suitable for editing in PR.

• 2. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need a mjpeg codec installed

download the trial and give that a spin

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/motion-jpeg-codec-785/information-797. html

• 3. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
              raymarcher Level 1

Ok, I translated the avi into mp4 with the AVS video converter, now it plays correctly, thanks for the quick replys!

• 4. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't understand why you choose to convert to MP4. That is a heavily compressed and lossy format, hard to edit.If you want to tax your system, however, you made a good choice.

• 5. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                  raymarcher Level 1

Well that is because I am a complete noob at this.

Converting it to an jpeg sequence isn't a good idea either? DV AVI type2, gonna have to google what that is, I hope the avs converter can convert it.

Soon I will also have to add images sequences from a 3D aplication, what am I advised to use as format to get those into premiere to edit?

• 6. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

By far the easiest format for PR to handle, putting the least strain on your PC and reasonable storage requirements is MS DV AVI type2. Alternatives are Lagarith or HuffYuv, less compressed and visually lossless, but these require far more disk space. Anything that uses MPEG or similar compression techniques is in essence  a delivery format and not really suited for editing. Sure, HDV and AVCHD are heavily compressed materials that PR can handle for editing, but far from ideal. It requires a more powerful PC and even then editing is not as smooth as DV.

If your 3D application has the capability to output DV AVI type2, that is the easiest way. Otherwise, try another AVI format, like uncompressed (it uses huge amounts of disk space) or Lagarith or HuffYuv.

• 7. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                      raymarcher Level 1

And what is the best still image format to work with in editing?

Yes, uncompressed avi, I could handle that, I have a 15.000 sas and 2 3.0 quad cores

• 8. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

For stills it does not make a lot of difference whether you use BMP, JPG, PNG, PSD or TIFF or other format, as long as you keep the size of the stills the same (or slightly larger for pan/zoom purposes) than your seuence settings. Peolpe often have problems when the image size is far larger than the resolution set in the sequence.

• 9. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure if I understand this correctly.

And what is the best still image format to work with in editing?

For the best "still image format," I recommend .PSD or .TIFF, but needs might dictate something else.

Now, if it's Motion JPEG, that you're after (most of the discussion upthread), then Ann's suggestion of the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC, or the one from Morgan Multimedia, should work fine. When one of these is properly installed, PrPro should be able to work with the files. One user reported that Morgan did not work for them, but most have had almost 100% success with either. One thing to watch out for would be OOS (Out Of Sync) issues, that can creep in. When these have occurred, they have been constant OOS, and are easily fixed by hand.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                            raymarcher Level 1

Ah with stills I mean, image sequences...

is it ok to work with stills in editing (image sequences)? Also with stills you don't have to deal with codecs dv etc plus I can easely create a still image sequence from my mjpeg avi

tnx for the help all

• 11. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Perhaps, if you tell us exactly what you are doing, it would be easier for someone to suggest a good workflow. Say, if you're creating animations in Maya, and wish to Export these to work in CS4, it might be TGA sequences, or something else. The more detail that you give, the more likely it will be that someone can point you in the right direction for your intended use.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                                raymarcher Level 1

Yes you are right, I'll provide as much info as possible:

So I have to do a 3D remake of a movie that has 17 shots, the avi I was first talking about is that movie.

here are the settings:

Type: AVI Movie
                                File Size: 224,4 MB
                                Image Size: 1024 x 576
                                Pixel Depth: 0
                                Frame Rate: 25,00
                                Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
                                Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
                                Total Duration: 00:02:12:19
                                Average Data Rate: 1,7 MB / second
                                Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1,0

codec: ibm motion jpeg

I used that avi to create an image sequence to use in 3ds max as a reference. All 3D animation is done now, and I rendered preview images as preview.

Now before doing any real post production I want to see how well the animation works when all sequenced together. So I want to create a premiere project with 17 shots with the renders, which i will replace later with the final 3d renders post processed with after effects.

image formats I think I will use:

-3d, max: I think I will use png's as render output since I don't need to do much correction on the images

-post production, after effects: also png's

-editing, premiere: output, mp4?

All sugestions are welcome, I'm doing my homework too on premiere with lynda training.

Tnx

• 13. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One forum regular, Dan Issacs, does a lot of still sequence work (3D, I think). He also uses PrPro and AE extensively for his work, so he'd be a good one to chime-in with suggestions on formats and workflow.

I do so very little 3D motion, that I doubt that I could add anything. Still, your details should bring another poster up to speed on what you doing and what you need to do.

Good luck, and if I bump into Dan on the fora, I'll point him to your post.

Hunt

BTW, he's not the only 3D animation person around, just a very good resource.

• 14. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                                    Dan Isaacs Level 2
                                    1. Output from 3DS MAX as 720x576 widescreen PAL .png sequences (in Render Setup / Common, set Width=720, Height=576, Pixel Aspect=1.459)
                                    2. Create a new PAL Widescreen DV sequence in Premiere
                                    3. Import the .png sequences into Premiere
                                    4. Right-click on each .png sequence in the Project Window, go to Interpret Footage and choose the appropriate pixel aspect ratio (~1.459 or whatever is closest to that) and make sure the frame rate is set to 25 fps
                                    • 15. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

Thank you for sharing your workflow.

Hunt

• 16. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                                        Dan Isaacs Level 2

No problem, Hunt…this is only one of several possible solutions. It is infinitely more practical to render from your 3D app as an image sequence because you can easily have networked machines sharing the workload.

PNG is a good choice, as it is well-supported by most apps and it uses very efficient lossless compresssion.

3DS MAX, since it will render natively to whatever aspect ratio you want, will do a much nicer job than Premiere would scaling 1024 -> 720 (or 1050 -> 720 using the new, more correct PAR).

One thing I forgot to ask: Is this being output as interlaced or progressive? If it is to be interlaced, you'd probably be wiser to render from MAX as 50 fps instead of enabling "Render to Fields". It will not take any longer to render, and you'll have progressive frames you can easily reinterlace later. I have not tried this myself, but you should be able to place the 50 fps .png sequence in an interlaced PAL DV timeline – and Premiere will interlace the consecutive frames on output. If this does not work as expected I have several other ways you can accompish it.

• 17. Re: troubles inporting avi footage
                                          raymarcher Level 1

Ok, the idea is to put the video (or shall I rather say media) on my computer to show and distribute. Sorry I didn't make this perfectly clear.

I think everything stays the same like you mentioned, but what should I output from premiere for computer use, mp4? That is the new standard as I understood, a container based on the .mov and playable on windows and mac?  But I am interested in the dv as well, for what reason should I output to dv? For broadcasting I guess?

Thanks a lot