3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 10:54 AM by GeoBear

Flash Image Linked to Table - How does it work?

GeoBear Level 1

I have Adobe Creative Suite, but I haven't begun to learn how to use Flash yet. I work primarily with PHP using Dreamweaver and have a very basic understanding of JavaScript.

I just discovered a really cool script here. The page displays a Flash image map of Africa and a table listing every nation in Africa. If you hover over Kenya on the map, Kenya is highlighted on both the map and the table. Vice versa, if you hover over the word Kenya on the table, Kenya is highlighted on both the table and the map.

I would like to duplicate this on my website. (It's in the public domain.) So I copied the source code, then began recreating the style sheets, JavaScript files and images. When I view the page locally, I see the Flash image (map of Africa). But when I hover over a nation on the map, it says "undefined," rather than showing the name of the nation. The table listing the nations doesn't display at all.

Does anyone have any idea how this affect is created? Can you offer any tips that might help me recreate it on my site? It appears that AJAX is another technology used on the page. That's something else I have no experience with, but I'm not sure if AJAX is associated with the Flash map/table function or not.

Thanks for any tips.

• 1. Re: Flash Image Linked to Table - How does it work?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

that link really doesn't work well, at all.  all that swf is doing is checking if a countries name is in the top half of the list component or bottom half.  it scrolls to 0 or maxscroll accordingly and highlights the name.  all countries that fail to be displayed in the top half and bottom half do not appear highlighted.

to do that correctly, use the scrollToIndex() method of the list component.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash Image Linked to Table - How does it work?
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It all depends on which version of that presentation you're looking at.  From what I can see in the page code, there are basically two versions, a Flash version and an HTML version.  The HTML version is available two different ways.  If you copied the page code as the script you mentioned, it doesn't have the same functionality that the Flash version does--which would explain why you might be not seeing something.  If you want the Flash version you need to get the afr.swf file

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Flash Image Linked to Table - How does it work?
              GeoBear Level 1

I have the afr.swf file. But when I hover over it, it says "undefined" rather than the name of a country.