7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 10:57 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Affer effect to Quicktime par question

harvey goldman Level 1

hi.

when i output my dv/d1 ntsc 720 x 486 file from AE to QT and i go to "get info" about the QT file:

the format says: None, 720 x 486 (655 x 486), Millions.

my question has to do with the (655 x 486) .

what does this mean, and is there a problem?

the footage is intended for DVD production.

thanks,

h.

• 1. Re: Affer effect to Quicktime par question
          TimeRemapper Level 4

The numbers in parenthesis refer to the rough Square Pixel dimensions of your footage (square pixel aspect ratio representation of your D1/DV footage).

It would appear that you rendered that file out of CS4, though, because it seems to have the corrected PAR of .91, as opposed to the previous Pixel Aspect Ratio standard of .9.

In otherwords, everything should be fine. QT is just letting you know what the square pixel equivalent of your D1 footage would be.

Keep in mind for NTSC DVD, the frame size will need to be 720x480. Your encoding software (or hardware) should be able to crop off the additional 6 lines of resolution without a problem though.

• 2. Re: Affer effect to Quicktime par question
            harvey goldman Level 1

thanks,

would it be prudent to output the files 720 x 480 if i am going to DVD?

also if is want to create a DVD that will be used with digital projectors do i need to output with square pixels?

thanks again

• 3. Re: Affer effect to Quicktime par question
              TimeRemapper Level 4

What I usually do is drop my D1 comp in a DV comp, and then render the DV comp out (720x480).

When you position your D1 comp in your DV comp for cropping, if your material is interlaced, you should move it up or down one pixel to avoid reversing the field order.

Regardless of the display method (projector, plasma screen, old tube TV), DVD will not use square pixels.

The DVD player is the method of playback. It will make the signal look appropriate when it sends it to the projector.

If you stick with the composition presets offered by After Effects, you should be fine.

• 4. Re: Affer effect to Quicktime par question
                harvey goldman Level 1

thank-you again.

this is  elegant suggestion about the composition nesting.

in regards to preparing output for digital projectors displays, is there a PAR size that can be used such that when the imagery is projected there is no stretching? ie, the circles and squares still look circular and square?

thanks,

harvey

• 5. Re: Affer effect to Quicktime par question
                  TimeRemapper Level 4
                  in regards to preparing output for digital projectors displays, is there a PAR size that can be used such that when the imagery is projected there is no stretching? ie, the circles and squares still look circular and square?

Hey Harvey.

That's what I was saying when I mentioned that the DVD player will handle the scaling.

Assuming that you'll be authoring and burning a video DVD (not a data DVD), the DVD player from which you play the disc will "stretch" your .91 PAR content back to a more anatomically correct looking piece.

It's magic that occurs inside the DVD player's brain, so that when the signal gets to the projector, circles will appear circular, and squares will appear square.

• 6. Re: Affer effect to Quicktime par question
                    harvey goldman Level 1

Steve,

your response is very helpful and much appreciated.

thank-you.

h.

• 7. Re: Affer effect to Quicktime par question
                      Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

That's what I was saying when I mentioned that the DVD player will handle the scaling

Assuming that you'll be authoring and burning a video DVD (not a data DVD), the DVD player from which you play the disc will "stretch" your .91 PAR content back to a more anatomically correct looking piece.

It's true, but it's actually done by the TV. The DVD player doesn't need to do anything in this particular case (it does handle letterboxing for non-widescreen displays). The whole PAR thing is about stretching in to to compensate for the stretching out that the display will introduce. 16:9 is just a wilder flavor of this.