8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 4:58 PM by the_wine_snob

problem with timeline

filmtech68

I can view clips in the source monitor, but the program monitor and timeline are grayed out and I can't drag clips from the source monitor into the program monitor or timeline. Is there a setting or set-up step I missed?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• 1. Re: problem with timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you click on the Timeline to give it focus (orange line around it)?

Can you post a screen-cap of PE with these items greyed out?

Also, tell us about the Clips - where they came from and how you Imported/Captured them into PE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: problem with timeline
            filmtech68 Level 1

Can you click on the Timeline to give it focus (orange line around it)?

- Yes I get the orange line around it. But the audio and video tracks don't appear in the timeline.

Can you post a screen-cap of PE with these items greyed out?

- What do you mean by "post a screen-cap"?

Also, tell us about the Clips - where they came from and how you Imported/Captured them

into PE.

- The clips were shot on miniDV and captured from the camera. Is there another step I have to perform before I can add them to the timeline?

Thanks - Dominick

Good luck,

Â

Hunt

• 3. Re: problem with timeline
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Dominick, is is possible you're looking at your clip in the Organizer instead of the Project media panel?

To post a screen capture, press the Prt Scr key on your keyboard and then Ctrl+v to paste that capture into a Photoshop Elements document.

Save that as a JPEG and then attach it to your next post by clicking the Browse button at the bottom of your reply screen.

• 4. Re: problem with timeline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a screen-cap of the Organizer View:

PE_Organizer_View.jpg

Here's the Project Panel View:

PE_Project_View.jpg

Hope that this clears things up a bit. You need to be in the Project Panel View to move Assets to the Timeline. You will also need to Import them into your Project Panel (Get Media), if they are not already there. The Organizer will give you a view of all Assets in a folder, and the Project Panel will show you all Assets in your Project, regardless of which folder they are located in.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: problem with timeline
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If Captured with PE via FireWire from your camera while in your Project, they should be in your Project Panel, as well as your Organizer Panel already.

Hunt

• 6. Re: problem with timeline
                    filmtech68 Level 1

I'm using CS3, so the interface is a little different than the page capture you sent me. One clue for you might be that that the audio and video channels aren't visible in the timeline.

• 7. Re: problem with timeline
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're using CS3?

Why are you posting to the Premiere Elements forum? There are some significant differences in the interface.

In fact, CS3 doesn't even HAVE an Organizer.

• 8. Re: problem with timeline
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve did hit on a good point. However, as we've got this thread going, please do a screen-cap of what you are experiencing. That will go a very long way to helping you, and that is, after all, the purpose of thes fora.

I chose to do the screen-caps in PE, as I assumed that was the program that you were using. I could have done similar from my PrPro, but was looking for some problem with the PE Organizer.

As I am now confused on what is happening in PrPro for you, I need your help, and the screen-cap will provide much of that. Since I use PrPro about 9:1 over PE, I should be able to get you though this problem.

Good luck,

Hunt