11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 9:11 AM by the_wine_snob

ISO file

AO1958

Hi Everyone. Does anyone know how to save a video as an iso file in Premiere Elements 7.0?  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

• 1. Re: ISO file
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not believe that PE can create an ISO file. However, one can Burn to Folder and use any number of utilities to convert the VIDEO_TS to an ISO image. What is the particular need for an ISO? There might be an easier way to get you to your goal.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ISO file
            AO1958 Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for your response.  I would like to save a video as an iso for maximum dvd player compatibility.  I currently have a small photo slideshow business and researched options for burning discs that would play in the majority of dvd players and the general consensus was to save and burn as iso so the individual dvd player would recognize the disc as a dvd-rom.

I have a lot of vhs tapes to be burned that I'd like to give copies to family and in the past some would play, others wouldn't.  Do you have another trick?

I use ProShow for the slide shows and there is a burn as iso option in that program so I'm not familiar with any external programs out there.

Thanks again to you and all of you for sharing your knowledge and expertise with the rest of us!  Amy

• 3. Re: ISO file
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I think you might have more compatibility problems with the DVD-ROM and older players.

Of the thousands of DVD-Video that I have burned, there has never been one come back and some of the clients' gear is pretty old. I test on six units, before I duplicate, and have never encountered a problem. I use PrPro and Encore for my NLE and authoring, and always use Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden media, burned at the slowest speed, with a bit-rate of 7mbps. Has worked perfectly, except for one client, who could not play DL (DVD-9) discs, but then I just did a set of DVD-5's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: ISO file
                AO1958 Level 1

The way I understood it was that burning as iso kind of tricked the dvd player into thinking it was a DVD-ROM (or store bought dvd) that would play on most players.  Apparently I have that wrong.  Unfortunately, I don't have the same resources that you mentioned.  I appreciate your sharing your ideas and experience - not sure where I should go from here though.  Thanks so much, Amy

• 5. Re: ISO file
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I looked for the material that I recall reading on DVD-ROM, but have not found it yet. Jim Taylor's book DVD Demystified covers it, but more in a theoretical manner, and not real-world applications. I'm thinking that what I'm referring to was a series of articles by Neil Wilkes posted to the old Adobe Encore forum, but now the search function on these fora is almost useless and many of the old links to Adobe forum articles are now dead. If I can find those discussions, I will post them.

Encore can Burn to ISO, IIRC, and ImgBurn can Burn from ISO to DVD. When I get a moment, I'll look into this and give it a test to see if I get full compatibility on all of my DVD players and on my computers. Even if one is able to trick a player into thinking that it's dealing with a commercial DVD, the truth remains that it is a burned disc and not a pressed disc. This is the main difference with regard to compatibility - all DVD players must play a replicated disc, which WILL be a pressed disc from a master, not from any form of burned disc. Even with ISO, you still have that burned disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: ISO file
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Since I was having such bad luck in my searching, I just posted a question on this to the Adobe Encore forum. I hope that such luminaries as Neil Wilkes, Jeff Bellun, Ruud Blauw and Joe Bowden will weigh-in. IIRC, several of these chaps were involved in the earlier discussions. Will report on the comments in that forum here.

Time to just sit back, relax and wait for the discussions to start.

Hunt

• 7. Re: ISO file
                      AO1958 Level 1

Hunt, thank you SO much!  The creative end of me doesn't always get along with the technical end and I need all the help I can get! 

I can't tell you how grateful I am that you are taking the time to help me (and others, I'm sure) with this issue.  You're the best!  Amy

• 8. Re: ISO file
                        manzz7

I archive all my video projects in "iso" format. I use DVD shrink v.3.2 , Roxio Creator will also allow you to save in an .iso format. Not only does it allow greater freedom with burning programs but also allow you to mount an image to be viewed on a vitual DVD player eliminating the need for a disc on laptops.

I have experienced compatability issues using other formats and burning from iso's solves this in my experience.

• 9. Re: ISO file
                          AO1958 Level 1

Hi Manzz7,

How are you saving a video edited in Premier Elements 7 as an iso file?  That was what I am hoping to but I haven't heard from anyone who

thinks it can be done.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks so much.

• 10. Re: ISO file
                            manzz7 Level 1

No, as noted I use DVD Shrink 3.2 for .iso images. I use Premiere Elements 7 for creating and editing my project, then "share" my project to DVD. I use this first DVD as my "master" and use this disc in DVD Shrink to archive my project as an ISO image. An extra step I know but 99% of the time you need to burn a DVD anyway.

This is the only work around I have found.

I have have other issues with PRE7 but am too busy to take the time to learn another editing program.

Good Luck

• 11. Re: ISO file
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a link to the ARTICLE that I posted to the Encore forum. Joe Bowden shared some thoughts. Rudd, Jeff and and Neil have yet to weigh-in.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes for you,

Hunt