24 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2009 11:32 AM by SonOfAServant

Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer

SonOfAServant Level 1

When I select an audio effect in the audio mixer (CS 4.1) all the presets are the same as the default. If I use the same effects on the timeline, the presets are working. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong please?

• 1. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

Please post a screen shot of what you are talking about.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Question: are you ADDING the Effects in the Audio Mixer? If so, mine function properly, with all of the appropriate Presets showing. Now, if one is ADDING the Effect in the Timeline, they will only be adjustable in the Effects Control Panel. Effects added to the Audio Mixer will be different from those added in the Timeline, but you probably knew that already. Also, one has to twirl-down with the little arrow, to open the Presets in the Audio Mixer, for Effects added there. Again, probably something that you already knew.

If it's still not working, can you give us an example of which Effects you are adding in the Audio Mixer, that are not giving you the Presets, or the controls to change these?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a screen-cap of the two types of Effects: a Track Effect, added in the Audio Mixer, and a Clip Effect added to the Audio Clip and adjusted via the Effects Control Panel.

Audio_Mixer_02.jpg

Hope this helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                Colin Brougham Level 6

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you want this:

effects_preset.png

• 5. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                  SonOfAServant Level 1

Absolutely, Colin. For example, if I select the Multiband Compressor there, there is no difference between the Default; Presence, Film Mastering, Music Mastering etc. as there should be. So have the presets been corrupted somehow or am I missing something obvious.

• 6. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Oh, so you're saying that the presets are indeed there, at least in name, but selecting them has no effect (pun not intended)?

ADDENDUM: Just tested this, and the presets work fine for me. BUT... then they didn't. If I added an effect in the effects rack, and then right-clicked to apply a preset, the effect would work. I could continue to right-click and change the presets a few times while the clip was playing back, so that I could hear the difference, but then after about 12-15 times, it stopped working correctly. The output level dipped really low, and each preset had the same effect (ie. none). I could click on Default, and the audio would come back, but then going back to one of the other presets didn't work again.

Just did some more testing: if you apply a preset once, it works fine, but if you go to a different preset, or just apply the first preset again, the audio messes up. The only way to fix this is to apply the effect again in the effects rack...

OP, can you confirm? How about anyone else? Methinks a bug...

• 7. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                      SonOfAServant Level 1

I agree Colin, it does look like (yet another) bug in 4.1. However, unlike you, I can't get the presets to come back, even if I reapply the effect. There is some attempt by the effect to apply its preset but it remains at the default setting.

How do I escalate this to report it as a bug? Do Adobe read their own forums or are they merely a mosh-pit for us poor customers to wallow about in?

• 8. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

There is really little Adobe presence in the fora. The method for reporting a Bug is via this LINK.

Good luck, and sorry that I got you off on a wild goose chase. You were way ahead of me.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                          SonOfAServant Level 1

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I have sent a bug report off to Adobe (without much hope I might add) and we'll see what happens. If I get a response, I'll revert back and let the forum know what they say.

In the meantime, if anyone else has experienced this or, like Colin, can reproduce it, please let us know.

• 10. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Yes, please do chime in. It could be a bug, or it might be an ASIO setting for Premiere. I'm trying to test it fully on my two systems to see what the extent of the fault is.

• 11. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                              SonOfAServant Level 1

Something similar was previously reported for CS3 here http://forums.adobe.com/message/1710694#1710694 (see about half way down).

Might be the same thing, just never fixed?

Thanks for testing this Colin. I'm trying to finish up a project (tonight!) and can't beta-test this for Adobe at the moment.

• 12. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe will review your report. Whether they will offer up a "fix," will remain to be seen. Based on your link in another post, it could well be something that been around, and most just have not encountered it. Wonder if the poster in that thread ever filed a Bug Report. This is so very often overlooked, as most assume that Adobe programmers follow the fora closely. Unfortunately, if they did, they'd never get any work done. It's not that we're all so entertaining, that they couldn't tear themselves away from the forum, but that 99% of what people report as Bugs, are usually Project/Asset, system, or OE related. Then, there are the REAL Bugs, but historically (if one does not include some aspects of CS4) these have been a very small percentage. Sounds like you actually experienced one. Good work to both you and Colin.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Colin Brougham wrote:

Yes, please do chime in. It could be a bug, or it might be an ASIO setting for Premiere. I'm trying to test it fully on my two systems to see what the extent of the fault is.

I can reproduce the bug here.  I tested for both the WDM audio driver and ASIO4ALL v2.9.  The fix/workaround is simply to re-select the effect in-place in the rack, and all of the presets for that effect become available and functional again.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks for confirming, Jeff. If you want to see something interesting--the bug at work, so to speak--try this...

Apply an effect, say Multiband Compressor. Right-click the effect and select Edit, so you can see the VST control panel. Now start playing the clip, and right-click the effect name to apply a preset, say Presence. The VST control panel will change--so far, so good. Now apply the Presence preset again, and watch the fun!

I've tried both audio drivers, and changed the ASIO settings--no dice.

• 15. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                      SonOfAServant Level 1

Well Colin, that's amazing. I can reproduce that here ad-nauseum. It does, however, provide a way to get the presets to start working again as long as I don't want to change them more than once.

If I select a preset, e.g. Multiband Compressor, while the track is NOT playing, then it's set to the default.

If I select a preset while the track IS playing, then the preset comes back and is correct.

If I then change the preset while the track is NOT playing, it will change but will not be correct.

If I change the preset more than once (to ANY other preset) while the track IS playing, then it goes completely haywire and may even crash Premiere. It also mutes the audio which only unmutes when the effect is removed completely.

This is definitely a bug.

Hi Jeff, thanks for joining in. I'm afraid that your workaround doesn't work for me for some reason, only the above. Odd.

• 16. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer

SonOfAServant wrote:

Hi Jeff, thanks for joining in. I'm afraid that your workaround doesn't work for me for some reason, only the above. Odd.

It's almost certainly a hardware/driver issue, then.  I say that because the WDM driver and the ASIO4ALL driver on my system exhibit similar behavior to each other when the preset selection smurfs the audio, but the behavior isn't identical.  Neither do they come anywhere near crashing Pr.

What audio hardware do you have?  Are the drivers up-to-date?

I'm on Vista 64 SP2 with a Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme card.

-Jeff

• 17. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                          SonOfAServant Level 1

Config: Vista 64-bit Sp2 with integrated audio on the mobo. All the drivers on the machine are up to date and the computer is brand new. The installation of CS4 is also virgin with no additional a/v plugins. Computer passes all diagnostics.

• 18. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer

SonOfAServant wrote:

integrated audio on the mobo.

That could be the difference (and the problem).

For clarification: are you saying the drivers are up-to-date because the computer is brand-new, or are you saying the drivers are up-to-date because you have downloaded and updated them?

-Jeff

• 19. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                              SonOfAServant Level 1

Actually both, Jeff. The computer is new and the drivers are up to date because I recently downloaded them. It doesn't explain why Colin can reproduce this behaviour at his end. It also doesn't forgive this bug happening to any extent I would think.

Adobe really need to examine this in house but I can do no more than send a bug report as I have done. My suspicion would be that, since they have released the 4.1 update, it's unlikely that they will address any more issues in the near future. They're probably too busy screwing up CS5!

• 20. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer

You're probably not going to want to hear this, but on the list of

"things that must be fixed in Premiere Pro", this is likely way down on

the list.

I've never applied an audio effect via the mixer, and certainly never

applied an effect preset via the mixer.  I've used Audition and

Soundbooth for tweaking the audio in my projects, and I suspect most

editors do the same.  If this item made it through beta testing, then

either nobody tested this workflow, or management decided it wasn't

important enough to fix.

-Jeff

• 21. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                                  SonOfAServant Level 1

Well Jeff, I came to video after 25 years as a sound engineer and tweak audio in all sorts of ways. But the ability to put a compressor across an audio track or mix in Premiere provides a quick and effective fix for a lot of event audio.

What amazes me is that this always worked fine in Premiere Pro 1.5. Adobe are like a mechanic I used to have. Every time they fix something, they break something else. Methinks CS4 is not their finest hour.

• 22. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

never applied an effect preset via the mixer.

Until this thread, I didn't even know you could.

• 23. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Though aware of the potential, I still applied all Audio Effects to the Clip(s), and never to the Track. However, after examining things, and following this thread, Bug or not, I can see the wisdon in many instances for wanting to do the application on a Track basis, especially with the potential for the Automation of Audio Mixer.

Thanks for the thread,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Missing Effects Presets in Audio Mixer
                                                        SonOfAServant Level 1

Well, there you go @ Jim. You never knew it worked and now it's broken! Bet you never figured Adobe to be champions of irony.

It'd be nice if they fixed it though.