3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 1:02 PM by Rothrock

PNG file alpha not recgonized: causes the images below to "whiteout"

Greasegirl

Hi ,

I was wondering if anyone have had this issue before. I am currently loading png files dynamically onto different movieClips one on top of the other, to create a turn. I have another set of png files that are loaded onto the other movieclips. When I press on the button to run the turn, certain frames turn blank. I found it had to do something with the next PNG file does not have the alpha channels processed correctly.

Thanks in Advance.

• 1. Re: PNG file alpha not recgonized: causes the images below to "whiteout"
          Rothrock Level 5

Do you have more than 10 or so of these pngs stacked up?

What version of the player are you publishing to?

Does adding this to the first frame:

_quality="LOW"

make the transparency better? (Ignoring that it makes everything else look horrible!)

• 2. Re: PNG file alpha not recgonized: causes the images below to "whiteout"
            Greasegirl Level 1

I have more than 10 around 24 to 48 that can be stacked up.

I'm publishing out to Flash 9.

I tried _quality="LOW". It works, but, yes it made my buttons look horrible.

Is there a way around it?

• 3. Re: PNG file alpha not recgonized: causes the images below to "whiteout"
              Rothrock Level 5

I don't remember all the details. So some of this is a bit fuzzy.

This has to do with a decision that was made way back when processing power was much less than today. And it was sort of in the core of the flash player and for a long time they didn't touch it at all.

For bitmaps with alpha transparency they defined an internal hard coded array of 10 (I think) elements that would get anti-aliasing if the quality was set at HIGH or BEST. Once that array got filled the renderer just chokes on the remaining transparency.

Lowering the _quality (you might want to try BEST, HIGH, and MEDIUM) switches the rendering to different algorithms and at some point it stops using the special hard coded array. But as you've seen it causes other problems.

At some point, I really don't remember, I thought that they had updated the size of the array to something like 16 or 32 or some such. And my bet would have been on Flash 9 player. So you might want to try lowering the number just to see if you could get in the neighborhood.

Other than that I don't see many options. I supposed you could perhaps use the bitmapdata class and find some way of combining the pngs.

Other than that I'm really not sure.