9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 4:10 PM by BigJohnD

Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word

EricaDorsey

I recently got a brand new compyer, so it has the latest version of Word. I write ad copy all day long and have always typed the copy into Word (or pasted from our online catalog into Word), formatted it the way I need it, and then copied and pasted that into PM.

Now when I try it, the formatting doesn't come across properly. The margins, fonts, and/or spacing will be different. This has proven to be much quicker for me than to actualy "place" the text. I paste about 75+ ads a day into PM.

Any ideas?!

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word
          Jay Chevako Level 3

Read the previous thread about word first. Pasting has always been a iffy proposition with pagemaker, to actually get things like margins to come through seems an impossibility, margins are controlled in the doucument setup portion of pagemaker and would not be changed by pasting text do you mean the indents of the paragraph?

Try placing one document with "show filter preferences" checked and see what comes up in the resulting dialog box. Check the approprriate boxes such as retain format and or read tags. repeat the process, making sure your preferences stick, then try placing.

Jay

• 2. Re: Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word
            EricaDorsey Level 1

Sadly, I tried that after reading the last post before I posted my query, but it did not work. I've attached an example of what the pasted ad copy should look like (and always did before I got the new Word)...and then what the ad copy looks like now.

Before:

before.jpg

After:

(See how there is a space between the header and the bullet points? And how the bullet point margins are screwy?)

after.jpg

Any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated! I've been monkeying around with it for quite some time! Thank you!

• 3. Re: Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word
              BigJohnD Level 3

Firstly, PM7 is VERY old, and there's no way it's going to recognise files of the *.docx format. Word 2003 won't even do that without a converter.

Secondly, from the old PM FAQs:

Edited: 28-Oct-2004 at 03:07am
              It is well known that copy/pasting Word docs directly into PM will cause problems, particularly when style names clash. You can only 'import' the text from a Word document - no graphics, no backgrounds.

To get the graphics from the Word document into PM:
              If you have a graphic in a Word document you want to put into your PM doc, and depending on whether it is a vector (e.g. WMF) or raster (e.g. JPG) export it from Corel Draw as an EPS or TIFF respectively. This method will retain all the pixel data that was in the original graphic, where pasting into Photoshop/Illustrator or PM itself will not.

To get the text from the Word document:

1. Save it as a TXT file, then place it into PM. Unlink the TXT file from the PM doc via the Links Manager.

2. Save the text from Word as rich text format (.RTF) then use File>Place to get it into PM. Make sure you immediately delete the link to the Word doc in the Links Manager, otherwise problems next time you open the PM file as it will look for that RTF file - bad news if you have made changes to the text in PM.
              Note: Saving in RTF or TXT formats strips out the Word styles. The former however retains all bolding and italicising, the latter does not.

3. Copy and paste the text into a brand new PM doc, highlight all the text and on the Styles palette, click on the [No Style] option. Then recopy the text and paste it into your existing PM doc and apply PMs styles. (Don't save the PM doc where you applied the [No Styles]). Remember, it is far better to apply styles using PM than to bring in Word styles.

4. When you are in the "Place" dialogue box, try checking "read tags." This will prevent the Word document from importing its own styles into your document.

-- With thanks to Lyn Eggleston and Phil Peterson

See also this page in the PageMaker Support KnowledgeBase: Error or Freeze When Placing a Microsoft Word File into PageMaker 6.5x or Later for Windows.

Iechyd da! John
              20:10 11/06/2009 BST

• 4. Re: Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word
                EricaDorsey Level 1

Thanks...I've been doing the paste method for 14 years and it has yet to fail. When you work at the pace I do, you look for any shortcut! Thanks for trying to assist

• 5. Re: Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word
                  Level 4

so do you have PM 7 working in Vista or is PM on an older machine?

also save as RTF or Plain text you should have no problems pasting that.

Keep in mind that docx wasn't even a gleem in someone's eye when Pagemaker was discontinued.

• 6. Re: Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word
                    Jay Chevako Level 3

EricaDorsey wrote:

(See how there is a space between the header and the bullet points? And how the bullet point margins are screwy?

Those are not Margins. Margins are set on the page level,  the space between the header and bullet points are controlled by paragraphs indents and tab stops.

Jay

• 7. Re: Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word
                      BigJohnD Level 3

Jay Chevako wrote:

Those are not Margins. Margins are set on the page level,  the space between the header and bullet points are controlled by paragraphs indents and tab stops.

Jay

Which is probably about style clashes between Word and PM.

See my earlier posting.

Iechyd da! John
                      23:34 11/06/2009 BST

• 8. Re: Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word
                        Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

John, do you have copies of the old FAQS in PDF or similar format? If so, can you use some help for transfering their contents to a more suitable format for re uploading them? I ask because I have some iddle periods every now and then.

• 9. Re: Pasting Text into PM7 from New Microsoft Word
                          BigJohnD Level 3

Hello, Claudio,

I've emailed you - midnight UK time, early evening Chile time.

Iechyd da! John
                          00:09 16/06/2009 BST