• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reporting Results to Hard Drive

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2008 Sep 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard that there is a way to post the results of a quiz to a local hard drive via the same ATT format file used in email reporting. Can anyone tell me how this is done? I plan to use CaptivateMyData since I do not have an LMS so this is the best option. Thanks-
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2008 Sep 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin

I find it rather odd that "You have heard it can be done", yet need the info on how. I would think wherever you heard it from would have also advised as to the method used.

There is an Adobe Technical note at this link that assists in storing scores in a ColdFusion database. This article might be used as a guideline to create an alternate method to store results locally.

I'm wondering if perhaps you are talking about a post on Kevin Siegel's blog. You may view that at this link

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is exactly what i am talking about. it says on his blog, and on the captivatemydata website that quiz results can be saved to a folder on one's computer. this is what i would like to do, if it's as simple as saving them to a folder rather than attaching them to an email. so i'm guessing that you dont think it's possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin

No, I never said it wasn't possible.

I'm assuming you are looking for someone to tell you how to accomplish Kevin Siegel's solution so you don't have to pay the $29 he is asking to find out?

My point here is that I would assume that full instructions would come with the solution. I've not purchased it so I don't know what exactly it entails.

I know you are keen on figuring this out, but please don't litter the forums with post after post asking how to do it. I've seen three different threads now where you are asking about the same thing. What will happen is that if we don't create links from the empty threads back to where a conversation ensues (as in this thread) it would be likely someone else will come in later looking for a similar solution. They may search and find many different unanswered questions and give up before finally seeing the magic thread where a solution was offered.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Okay, so here are some generic instructions for that ATT file. From Captivate, Click Quiz > Quiz Preferences...

Ensure you check the check box labeled "Enable reporting for this project". Then choose the E-mail option. From there choose "Attachment".

What this should do (assuming things work) is to allow an E-Mail message to be created that has the attachment.

Note that I said "assuming things work". There is a huge reason I pointed that out. It's because if you search, you will find gobs of posts here in the forums that cite issues with E-Mail reporting. It's buggy and often fails. So don't expect this to be a 100% foolproof setup.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again-
Actually, to respond to your previous post, I wouldnt mind paying the $30 but his product does not create the ATT file on the hard drive; it simply allows the data to be deciphered from the ATT file directly into Excel. My question, which, from what I understand, is not the basis for his product, is how to get the ATT file directly on the hard drive without the email use. His product, from what he says on the website, is to utilization of said file, not the creation of it. I just dont know how to get Captivate to put out the ATT onto a local hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 06, 2008 Oct 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
FYI - Captivate can't put attachment (.ATT) files directly onto a local hard drive.

Short of creating your own server-side processing script with very liberal network permissions, I'm not sure there's anything that could. Saving the files to a web server is doable, but the local drive is pretty much off limits.

As the demo for the product indicates, you can either manually save the ATT files from each e-mail to the hard drive, or specify the mail program storage location where the e-mails are kept. That last feature is actually pretty cool and much more than I would have expected.

And Rick's warning is spot on... you're unlikely to receive e-mails from Captivate files consistently, if at all. E-mail reporting is a feature that's become outdated due to the increased emphasis on browser/operating system security these days. I wouldn't be surprised if it's removed from the next version of Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources