23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 10:51 AM by the_wine_snob

No DVD Burners Detected

c99e

I have PE 3.0.2. Windows XP. After rendering a video, I click on Burn DVD. I get the message in the status line: No DVD Burners detected.

I used the link in the FAQs section to fix the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

No luck.

Uninstalled and reinstalled PE 3.0.2. Still does not detect the dvd burner. (Also rebooted between uninstall and reinstall.)

Any suggestions? Thank you,

Catherine

• 1. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would be better to burn to a folder and the burn the Video_TS folder to a dvd with your regular burning software (Imgburn, Nero, etc.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
            Paul_LS Level 4

Do you have any DVD burning software on your computer that could be "hogging" the burner and preventing PE3.0.2 from using it? Packet writing software commonly does this, such as InCD from NERO or the equivalent from SONIC.

Here is a similar thread where someone had the same DVD burner not detected problem with PE3. There are a number of good suggestions to try:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1759951#1759951

If all else fails then go with Peru's suggestion of burning to folder and using a 3rd party software for burning to disc.

• 3. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to take a look at this FAQ from the Encore Forum. Though written for Adobe Encore, it holds info for all Adobe programs that burn to DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                c99e Level 1

Thank you for replies. I went to this other discussion regading similar problems. Have downloaded ImgBurn and wrestling with that now. I may uninstall Sonic. Will keep you posted.

Catherine

• 5. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                  Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't need to uninstall Sonic.  I use both Imgburn and Sonic on several computers.

The only advantage of Sonic is that you can copy a disc, rather than using build and write in Imgburn.

I do, however, use Imgburn 99% of the time.

• 6. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                    vtnhnc

Can anyone help me?  I have just installed Premiere Elements 7 to replace Premiere Elements 3.  In PE 3 I was able to burn to DVDs, but in PE 7 I get the message "no DVD burners detected."  I have read the posts on this forum, but they all seem to apply to PE 3.  Does PE 7 have bugs that were not in PE 3?  As to the suggestion of burning to a folder and then burning to a DVD, I can't figure out how to do that.  I can burn to a folder, but then when I look at the folder I do not recognize the file extensions.  Anyway, there should be a way to burn directly to disc as I was doing in PE 3.

• 7. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                      Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer troubleshooting steps and solutions for working through DVD burning problems.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

• 8. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE from the Adobe Encore FAQ might be of use to you.

Also, Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager would be one of the next places that I'd check to see that the burner is functioning properly at a machine level.

As a test, Burn to Folder (has been suggested by others), and use the freeware, ImgBurn, to burn to DVD. Make sure to use good media, and also, as this is a test, I'd recommend getting a good brand of DVD RW (Verbatim is a good brand). This is not to be used as a delivery disc, but only for testing.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, I've already said all of that. I only saw Peru Bob's reply, when I opened (re-opened) this thread. The other replies did not display, until I had posted. Sorry about that and dang the new forum!

• 9. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Besides the FAQ link that Steve offered, do look at the Adobe Encore FAQ, that I posted. Everything in that will apply to PE7.

My guess is that if the burner is showing up in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager properly, you have installed some other software, that is hooking the burner, and all Adobe products MUST have 100% control of a burner to use it. Any versions of Nero, Roxio, etc. ever installed on that machine?

Also, please follow the steps outlined in the replies and test with ImgBurn, after you Burn to Folder in PE7. This will rule out some problem with the burner itself.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 10. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                            vtnhnc Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.  I had already looked at that Adobe Encore FAQ yesterday.  I assume you are talking about a post titled "Things and Software to avoid when. . ."  I could not figure out whether most of them applied, but I did try #8 and #14, but they didn't make any difference.  I have never used anything except PRE 3 to burn a DVD.  As far as I can tell, I do not have Roxio on this computer.  I never heard of Nero and assume I do not have that either. 

Following your directions I did find out what I apparently have for DVD burners.  This is what I found:  7/7/2009

Listed under DVD/CD-ROM drives we have:

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B

and

Optiarc DVD+-RW ND-3570A

How can I tell if these burners are working?

Thanks,

Ruth Ann

• 11. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>How can I tell if these burners are working?

Follow the directions already given about writing to hard disk and then using the free imgburn to write to disc

I have also used imgburn to write data files and/or folders to disc... which would be a much faster test

If imgburn doesn't work... you most likely have a hardware problem, or a corrupted install (in which case you would go to Control Panel and remove the offending drive and then do a restart so Windoze "sees" the drive again and installs the device drivers)

• 12. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ruth Ann,

Probably the easiest way to test these would be use PE3 to Burn to Folder. Chose a simple Project, so the Rendering/Transcoding time is shorter. Download and install ImgBurn. Try using it to Burn to disc. If it finds your two burners, that indicates that the OS is seeing them properly. That would point to a likely software conflict someplace.

Besides Nero, Roxio and a few other common burning apps, one can also experience problems with programs like Quicken, if they use the Backup to CD function. Also, Windows has a burning app, but it usually is not in use, unless it's called from another program, like Quicken.

What happens is that a "packet writing" module is used to treat the CD/DVD like a virtual hard drive. It is this module that hooks the dirve(s) and will not let PE gain 100% access to it. PE (and all Adobe apps that burn) need 100% control.

If ImgBurn works fine, then we'll do some troubleshooting on what could be hooking the burner(s).

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] While I was typing, John was posting!

• 13. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>While I was typing, John was posting

Grin... your answer was more complete!

• 14. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

You are far too kind. My reply was "wordy," and that was all. You covered every base in a couple of sentences.

Over on Muvipix, I was asked for my bio, regarding video. The request was for 2-3 sentences that covered it all. At 3 pages, I quit. You should have hard the comments that I got. Hey, that's just my style.

Thanks for the good answers to the poster,

Hunt

• 15. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                      vtnhnc Level 1

First, a correction, I find I do have Roxio on this computer.  I have never used it.

I followed your advice and installed ImageBurn.  However, I can't figure out how to get it to connect to the file to be burned.  I used PRE 7 and burned a 7 minute slideshow to a folder.  After that I found files with the slideshow title in a couple places.  One is in the Premiere 7 folder in a folder titled "encoded files."  Is that what I should try to burn to the disk?  When I looked for instructions from ImageBurn I couldn't find file extensions that matched what I have.

ImageBurn says it verifies the DVD drive.  That sounds good.  Does it mean anything?

Ruth Ann

• 16. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ruth Ann,

You should have a VIDEO_TS folder with a .VOB, a BUP and an INF file in it. It should be located where you told PE to Burn to. The Project's name will not be in these files/folder. You may have to start to Burn again, and check for the location of this folder in the dialogue screen. You can exit out then. Note: the number of each of those files is only a guess, predicated on the short Duration of your test Project.

In ImgBurn, you would then point it to the location of the VIDEO_TS folder and it should do the rest.

Both Roxio and Nero often come installed on new computers as part of the DVD burner package. The installation is usually the default of "everything" including the "packet writing" modules, InCD for Nero and DLA for Roxio. It will be these modules that cause the issue with Adobe and your burners. Unfortunately, as mentioned in the Encore FAQ article, just getting rid of modules will be a chore. I highly recommend a full uninstall of the offending program and then a good Registry cleaning afterward. Their tentacles will reach everywhere. Then, you can reinstall just what you need with a Custom Install from the usually supplied CD/DVD. Make sure to NOT install InCD, or DLA then.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                          vtnhnc Level 1

I've found the VIDEO-TS folder, and inside it I found the file extensions you mentioned.  I can't seem to get ImgBurn to connect to the VIDEO-TS folder.

When I open ImgBurn there is a set of 6 questions as to what I want to do.  Do I want to:

Write image file to disc?

or

Write files/folders to disc?

I assume I do not want to "Create image file. . ."

Ruth Ann

• 18. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Write files/folders to disc?

This is the correct one. You should then get a navigational dialogue screen to point to that folder. It can also be set from the Mode Toolbar Menu, and I believe it can also just be dragged from Windows Explorer. If you get any error messages, be sure to read them completely. They are a hoot, and I will often do things that I know are wrong, just to get a laugh.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                              vtnhnc Level 1

Thanks, Hunt, finally it worked!  Yes, I noticed the thoughtful reminders in ImgBurn.  I didn't get any error messages, just incomprehensible screens when I didn't know how to proceed.

Ruth Ann

• 20. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting.

Wait till you drag something the wrong way. Sit back and read the error message closely.

Enjoy,

Hunt

• 21. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                                  thequattros

Saving as Video_TS folder (using another software to burn) works good also...  But you'd save one extra step if burn directly from Premier elements.  I have the same problem ..."no burner detected"  I always have to "unistall the burned, the reinstall"   Or reinstall Premiere.  It sucks to keep doing this... so I've just been saving as Video_TS.

• 22. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several links to FAQ's etc. further up-thread. The solutions offered in those usually fix the "Burner Not Found" problems. After one checks closely for the offending software, then some hardware trouble shooting is required, but I think that those steps are included, as well.

The biggest problem is with packet-writing software. If they do not exist, and have never existed, on one's sytem (they are harder to get rid of, than most people think), then the wiring/controller for the burners needs to be checked and verified. Much of this can be done in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, though not all. The burners' firmware may need updating too.

Good luck, and I'd just use the workaround, until you have time to diagnose your particular system.

Hunt

• 23. Re: No DVD Burners Detected
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This FAQ ENTRY has a link that should prove to be very useful in the trouble shooting too.

Good luck,

Hunt