10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 8:46 AM by mjratchford

cannot display images

mjratchford
      Hello, I am new using DW. My images do not display (shows an x) when I am testing the page using the IE Preview/Debug in Browser locally. I have the image included in the images folder of the local site. I am running Vista and have McAfee (in case this is OS/security related). I would appreciate any help!
        • 1. Re: cannot display images
          Level 7
          as a guess- did you use site root relative paths?
          They always start with a leading /slash in the path.

If yes- go into dw preferences->Preview in Browser and check "preview using
          temp files"

or- change from using site root relative paths to document relative paths.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: cannot display images
            mjratchford Level 1
            Alan, thanks a lot for your response. I tried your 1st option and it solved my problem ;-) However, I am curious on how to perform the second option: 'change from using site root relative paths to document relative paths'. Does it mean to manually delete the leading slash and the rest of the path everytime I insert a new image?

thanks,
            mjr
            • 3. Re: cannot display images
              Level 7
              No. It means that when you insert or remake a link, you make sure that the
              Relative To: field is always set at 'document'. And it means that when you
              define a site, you select Document Relative as the default method for links.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"mjratchford" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gaseh6$gll$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Alan, thanks a lot for your response. I tried your 1st option and it
              > solved my
              > problem ;-) However, I am curious on how to perform the second option:
              > 'change
              > from using site root relative paths to document relative paths'. Does it
              > mean
              > to manually delete the leading slash and the rest of the path everytime I
              > insert a new image?
              >
              > thanks,
              > mjr
              >

• 4. Re: cannot display images
                mjratchford Level 1
                Hello Murray,
                Where is the 'Relative To' option/field? I cannot find it (maybe because of my DW version?) Also, when I attempt to create a new site (using Dreamweaver Site... option from the main menu), it puts me into the Advanced tab (Basic tab does not respond) and there is no field to specify the Document Relative option... Also, if I were to follow those options, how would that affect when I publish the site?
                thanks,
                mjr

• 5. Re: cannot display images
                  Level 7
                  Which version of DW are you using?

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:gau6e6$n97$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hello Murray,
                  > Where is the 'Relative To' option/field? I cannot find it (maybe because
                  > of
                  > my DW version?) Also, when I attempt to create a new site (using
                  > Dreamweaver
                  > Site... option from the main menu), it puts me into the Advanced tab
                  > (Basic tab
                  > does not respond) and there is no field to specify the Document Relative
                  > option... Also, if I were to follow those options, how would that affect
                  > when
                  > I publish the site?
                  > thanks,
                  > mjr
                  >
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: cannot display images
                    mjratchford Level 1
                    DW CS3 V9.0 ..... sorry I should have post it before.
                    thanks
                    • 7. Re: cannot display images
                      Level 7
                      > of
                      > Dreamweaver
                      > (Basic tab
                      > option...

OK - that's serious. It means you ARE NOT CREATING YOUR SITES PROPERLY.
                      When you click on the NEW button in Site Manager, you are given two options:
                      "Site" and "FTP & RDS Server". You should ALWAYS choose the former, not the
                      latter. By choosing the latter, you lose some of the features of
                      Dreamweaver (Templates and Library items) because you are now editing the
                      live files directly on the server. This is definitely NOT the thing you
                      want to be doing.

Please define new sites using the proper choice, and then when you make
                      links you will see the Relative to: option on the browse panel (lower
                      left-hand corner) when you browse to find a link target file.

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:gau6e6$n97$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Hello Murray,
                      > of
                      > Dreamweaver
                      > (Basic tab
                      > option... Also, if I were to follow those options, how would that affect
                      > when
                      > I publish the site?
                      > thanks,
                      > mjr
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: cannot display images
                        mjratchford Level 1
                        Ok. I do believe I have some seriously happening...;-( I have not chosen the FTP & RDS Server option. I have followed both methods of creating a new site: 1) File -> new->PReferences->mangesite->new->site->and I get the same screen as when 2) I go directly from DW's main page (Dreamweaver site). I do not have access to the basic tab and I do not see the option for the Document Relative, etc.... Could I have something basically wrong with my default installation values for DW? maybe some other global setting?

HOWEVER, as I was browsing the sites (via the Manage site tab - edit) I looked at the site that is giving me the problem with missing images and I did notice that there is a field (under Sharing files tab) that says 'What folder on the server do you want to store your files in?' which has /public_html/ which happens to be info that is automatically added to the Src of image's path when I drag a new image in. This happens to be the portion I have to delete everytime in order for the Previous Browser test to work.

It seems that I may have two separte problems here: 1) the case of the missing images when testing(which works when using Alan's suggestion of 'If yes- go into dw preferences->Preview in Browser and check "preview using temp files", and 2) the case of missing Document Relative option when creating a new site....

VERY FRUSTRATING PRODUCT!!! ;0( The only good thing so far is the fact that people in this forum respond very quick ;0)

BTW, is there anywhere (online) a good tutorial/class to take for DW? I have followed the DW's tutorial for "Creating your first website" as well as the videos for the various tasks that come with the product... but the product is just to extense and problems like mine (which are basic) do not get resolved!

thanks,
                        mjr

mjr
                        • 9. Re: cannot display images
                          Level 7

> and 2) the case of missing Document Relative option when creating a new
                          > site....

Making document relative paths is not a site thing (although there is a
                          preference for it in dreamweaver 8 and 9)

To make a document relative path-

Type some text.
                          Highlight it with the cursor.
                          Use the folder icon in the Properties Inspector to make a link. That brings
                          up the "browse to file" dialog box.

Look in the lower part of the browse to file dialog box.

There is a pulldown to choose between relative to site root or relative to
                          document.

--
                          Alan
                          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 10. Re: cannot display images
                            mjratchford Level 1
                            Thanks Alan. I found it and it worked. Slowly but surely I am understanding this stuff... ;-)

mjr