4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 7:03 AM by kwardle21

How do I create an admin install point

Xecros

I work for a rather large company in an environment where new pc's are constantly being introduced to my network.

I am required to ensure all these new pc's be updated to the newest version of Adobe Reader.

I currently have Adobe Reader 9.1.0 and the patches 9.1.1 and 9.1.2.

I would like to be able to combine 9.1.2 into the 9.1.0 install, thus making a full install of version 9.1.2.  This eliminates the process of first installing 9.1.0 onto new pc's, then turning around and installing the 9.1.2 patch right behind it.

How can i do this?

Thank you

Xecros

• 1. Re: How do I create an admin install point
          kashifMohd Level 2
          1. On local machine, create a source folder containing a copy of the Reader 9.1 MSI installer (say:  "C:\Reader9.1").
          2. On a network share, create a folder ("Reader_9.1") where the installer can install the uncompressed      program files.(eg. \\servername\foldername).
          3. Click Start, click Run,      and then enter the following command: msiexec /a "C:\Reader9.1\AdbeRdr910_en_US.msi" and hit Enter.
          4. When you receive a prompt asking where to install the files, browse to the distribution point you created in step 2 i.e. \\servername\foldername.
          5. Click OK. When the installer  finishes, all program files will be at the distribution point, ready

To install patches over this:

1. Copy 9.1.2 patch to "C:\Reader9.1" (9.1.1 patch is not required, I think 9.1.2 contains all fixes from 9.1.1 and can be applied over to 9.1
          2. Click Start, then click Run, and then type CMD.At the command prompt, type the following: msiexec /a “\\servername\foldername\AdbeRdr910_en_US.msi" /p "C:\Reader9.1\<9.1.2patchname.msp>"
          3. If it asks for a folder name then give it  \\servername\foldername
          4. Click on Finish when      installation is over.

Your AIP is now patched with 9.1.2 which is the latest version.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: How do I create an admin install point
                Xecros Level 1

That is helpfull, and it may end up being what i do, but it wasn't exactly what i was looking for.

Following your directions, i now have a 100+ meg folder with everything in the MSI package and MSP patches, extracted out into it.

What i would like to have is, a single file patched to 9.1.2  that i can push out to my pc's for installation.

or in other other words, take the 9.1.0 msi file, patch the file to 9.1.2, and then having a single msi file, patched to 9.1.2 ready to push out.

Can this be done?

• 3. Re: How do I create an admin install point
                  kashifMohd Level 2

I don't think there's a way to create a single patched msi file. How do you intend to push your installations to PCs.

• 4. Re: How do I create an admin install point
                    kwardle21

Follow the steps outlined here to create an silent auto install for 9.1 w/ the 9.1.2 patch included. It's worked well for our organization.

http://www.vatofknow.com/archives/249