26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 5:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Hi There

moviemaker53

I have been working and editing clips  in elements 2  and  exporting  them it back to tape I checked the tapes after export and did not worry as i had video and sound so have continued for 12 months!! Now when I try to  import there is no sound comming through to the timeline , I have tried to import the movie (or exported footage)  into various programmes  just to get it captured with sound  (including elements 7)  But  the audio track is a straight line.and there is  no sound. Have tried various cameras  firewires and computer links and concluded it must be the way the footage went back to tape. Have remeoved and replaced elements 2, and taken the problem to my video club but no one can solve it... The footage on the tapes is priceless to me but how can i get it in with sound.?? If i film and import direct from the camera and back to tape I get sound and video  so the problem MUST be in the way elements 2 was exporting  Please please help.  have never used a forumn before

• 1. Re: Hi There
          Paul_LS Level 4

That brings back some memories... let me guess you are using PAL format!!! And yes it is the way PE2 is exporting.

There is a patch for PE2 that reolved the issue but I am not sure that it will save your existing tapes:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3323

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hi There
            moviemaker53 Level 1

Wow someone else has had this problem!  I am an old lady and not so good with downloads or this forumn thing  will try and get the site you recommend. Any other suggestions on how to get the existing footage captured??will try and download the patch and yes your right i am using pal. Its all scared me off editing.

• 3. Re: Hi There
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How are you capturing your video, Moviemaker?

Is this miniDV, captured over a FireWire connection by Premiere Elements?

Audio problems are most common when you use footage that was captured using a cheaper capture device (like Plextor's ConvertX, Pinnacle's Dazzle or a capture card like the All-in-Wonder).

• 4. Re: Hi There
                Paul_LS Level 4

Unfortunately with this bug in PE2 I think you will not be able to reclaim your audio. Once you install the patch all future exports to tape will be OK.All you can do is apply the patch and see.

• 5. Re: Hi There
                  moviemaker53 Level 1

I use mini dv  a full capture wire ($40 one not the cheap one from wollies) and premier elements & or  or 4 !! have also tried a friend machine that bypasses the camera and you put the tape in and it goes in that way   also tried two other cameras cannon and sony and two other fire wires have even  tried capturing to moviemaker just to get it into the computer. The sound in the camera is perfect ...all levels show and it in sync,

• 6. Re: Hi There
                    Paul_LS Level 4

This is what it says for the bug report:

After the PlayerStandard plug-in update is installed, projects exported to tape in PAL format from Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 software will retain their audio when recaptured.

So the symption is that when tape is recaptured after being exported to tape there is no audio captured. My concern is that the bug resport says "after the plug-in is installed projects exported to tape"... implying only project exported to tape after the plugin has been installed will work OK.

All you can do is install the plug-in and see if PE2 will capture with audio. As you say you can try with Moviemaker and also the free WinDV http://windv.mourek.cz/

• 7. Re: Hi There
                      moviemaker53 Level 1

hello janna moviemaker 53 again.

I have a case with your support mob No. 0180984033  further information required ?

I am using mini dv tapes. and firewire  have elements7 on my laptop and desktop same problem on importing in bath cases.   sound is great in camera have tried importing in moviemaker but mainly i use premier elements  have tried version 4 and 7 . when i finish capturing it says comforming but no sound or sound line comes up.

I took out  elements version 2 and re imported it but still no sussess. I have 44 tapes this way all my movies   i am getting very depressed My computer guy said the sound is definately there  on the tape its some sort of kodec problem ??? to do wit how it went back t tape.

I am not so good with computer this is really myfirst experience with  a forem . my email is aussiemum53@gmail in case i can;t get back here ... Please help its monday and i am at my computer most of today worring and trying everything i can think of... Help !!! 

• 8. Re: Hi There
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Please give us as much info, as you can on your camera, the format that it shoots in, the CODEC used (camera Web sites are usually not good with this info, but manuals are often much better), and the workflow that you use to do the Capture.

Your computer guy could well be right, but without the info, we'll only be guessing, and that will do you no good.

Good luck, and please post the details,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Hi There
                          moviemaker53 Level 1

My camera is a Panasonic NVGS60 prior to this i used a  Canon MV 800i s ii would have put it back to tape using the canon  I have tried 4 cameras to import and a machine from the video club that bypasses the camera  My son said the mack can get off the info but then i have to get it converted to use in my P.C. seeing as i have 44 tapes i must solve this problem another way  I can send you a copy of a mini dv ( registered post for safety) If you feel you have clues as to what i can doo I appreciate your help

My mob is 0423633545 and home its 95765064

• 10. Re: Hi There

Are you saying you have versions 4 and 7, but you decided to try to capture in version 2?

If there are other versions on your machine, it could be that only one will capture. (This could also be true if you have more than one video editing program on your computer.)

Are you able to capture in Windows MovieMaker?

• 11. Re: Hi There
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, it looks like the Panasonic NVGS60 (PAL) records to miniDV, but in MPEG format. It also appears that it doesn't have a FireWire (IEEE-1394) connection, only USB. I could not find out what "flavor" of MPEG it uses, but from MovieMaker's Audio issue, would assume MPEG-Audio. This can be a problem, with many editing programs.

The starting point would be to take one of the Captured files and run it through the freeware utility, G-Spot. This will tell us what the exact CODEC's are. Here are the places to look in the G-Spot screen to get that info:

G-Spot_Screen_02.jpg

As G-Spot can Render and Play the file (look to the lower-left of the screen, for those buttons), it will also tell us if there is an issue, with the Audio.

It could end up being that these MPEG files will need to be converted to DV-AVI Type II files w/ PCM/WAV Audio @ 48KHz 16-bit, outside of PrE, and then Imported into PrE. I use a conversion program, that does batch conversion, but it is not freeware. Many recommend Prism as a conversion utility, and it appears that from the CMD Prompt, will do "batch conversion. With 44 tapes, that would be a big plus.

I also worry about the capturing from this camera, if there is only a USB connection. Now, it may well have FireWire, but none of the reviews that I found mentioned it. Maybe Steve can chime-in on USB Capture. I know that there is one rare instance, where PrE can use USB, but do not know the details of that - only that under exactly the right circumstances, it can. Doubt that we have those "right cirucumstances" here, but will wait for Steve to tell us.

Right now, the info that we need will be:

1.) Does this camera have a FireWire (iLink, IEEE-1394) connection, and does MovieMaker have an appropriate cable and connection for it, on the computer.

2.) What does G-Spot say about the files, with all details, especially the Audio and Video CODEC

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Hi There

Hunt, the specs on this camcorder are pretty confusing.

It clearly is a miniDV and it clearly does have a FireWire connection.

But I'm not sure what the reference to MPEG video is all about! I've never heard of a miniDV camcorder recording MPEG2 to tape! Although that's what every specs sheet I've pulled up seems to indicate.

miniDV is miniDV, right? And DV is not MPEG.

Perhaps it's a hybrid camcorder that can shoot in DV or, as part of its still camera functions, can also save MPEG to a flash memory card.

Unfortunately, only MovieMaker can tell us if that's the case or not. But, if MovieMaker is working with the MPEG, that would explain many of the problems.

• 13. Re: Hi There
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

It clearly is a miniDV and it clearly does have a FireWire connection.

Good news! You're a better man than I, or know which reviewers to go to for useful info. I found the top 3 reviews, and they only mentioned USB, and not one spec. chart, that they published, had any mention of FW.

G-Spot will definitely tell us what the files are.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Hi There
                                    moviemaker53 Level 1

Hello Steve,

I have used adobe for years 5, 6, 6.5 then  elements . I stuck with  elements two as I would not move up.... then I went to 4  But kept reverting to two as I knew it and loved it ... I have a big family and over 180 mini dv tapes of them   filmed over 6 years. I am the keeper of the family history. I would rough edit footage then put back to tape and file it for later ref. I did check when i put the footage back and i could hear it in the camera so was not worried I felt it was there and safe I have stored the tapes well and in a dark space away from magnetic etc    Now i need that footage for  18th and 21st   and i can hear it and see it but adobe will not recognise the sound component. One of my children has died so you can imagine some  of this footage is priceless to me . So i need to solve this problem  I can bring you a tape if that helps... I use a fire wire to capture like in all cameras  and it has the same fitting both ends.... When i connect the camera to the computer "Movie maker" is offered as a capture tool I even tried this to just get the footage in then intended to move it to a hard drive and save it that way   But again No sound comes in. I removed elements 2 a year ago and now only have elements 7 on both my laptop and desk top All my copies are legitimate and not copies and i have the serial numbers  I even tried to re put in two to see if i could import through that one to get the sound   But my copy of 2 is faulty.. and it says its missing a driver ??? so i un installed it  I contacted adobe about this originally then figured it was time i moved up with the system so i have persevered and learned elements 7 now. I have been avoiding facing this problem although i did make a case for it in June and i had a case number with adobe.  Slowly i am checking all my tapes   some have clips with sound and clips without sound on the same  tape so i am hoping a driver must have been wrong when the faulty clips were returned to tape. I appreciate you help and  will take any action you suggest.. Please please help

Thanks Janna

• 15. Re: Hi There
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Janna,

What does G-Spot say about the Captured files, both Audio and Video? There might be a clue there.

Also, if your camera has both the Audio and Video on these tapes, there should be a way to do the Capture.

One great little program for Capture is Scenalyzer Live. It is not freeware, but is both very inexpensive and does a better job, than either PrE, or PrPro. Most users of PrPro use it for SD material, due to better Capture and also the Scene Detection.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Hi There
                                        moviemaker53 Level 1

I really appreciate your advice but i am in my late 50s and not so computer literate ?? I will look it up and see if I understand. Another video club suggested it may be tape tension and i have tried this i fast forwarded and rewound and this did  solve  4 of my 44  problem tapes. So i was very excited... But the other tapes are still no audio. Will have to wait till someone can help me find this G spot thingy ( or is this some kind of joke ??)I am using premier elements 7 not premier pro  appreciate your advice

Thanks

Janna

• 17. Re: Hi There
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Janna,

Compared to me, you are but a child!

As for G-Spot, it is anything but a joke. Now, I did not create the name, so I can take no credit for the program, or jabs for the name. It can be found HERE. Just click on the word "HERE," and download this great little free utility. Of all of the Video utilities, that I recommend daily, this is the #1.

It does three things (minimum, but most importantly):

1: surveys your system for all installed CODEC's. These are the encoder/decoder files, that your system uses to, well encode and decode.

2.) surveys your file, when you drag it to the window of the program, and will give you a wealth of info about the file, including the Audio and Video CODEC's used for that file. It goes back up to #1 and tells you if you have the proper CODEC's installed.

3.) allows you to Render both the Audio and the Video, to check that they both will Render properly and then will play the Rendered file in a tiny viewer in the program.

Here's a look at the GUI and where to look for important info and also the Render and Play controls:

G-Spot_Screen_02.jpg

I doubt that I have spent a day on the Adobe fora, that I did not recommend this program at least once.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Hi There
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops,

Upon scanning back up thread, I see that I had already posted the screen-cap of G-Spot.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Hi There
                                              moviemaker53 Level 1

Wow i am smart i down loaded  g/spot made a little clip (1 min to test)and dragged it in will try and relay what it says. I again appreciate your help. I can play it in gspot and it has no sound  cannot seem to render unsure how ??? 

In the sq boxes with the numbers it has 1 in all boxes  (including the little one) thats says No codec required"says dvsd name dvc/dv status codec are installed  audio says PCM audio infor 4800Hz 1536kb/s tot (2chnls). Its says its already in dvd format .

It also says Len 0:35.520 frms 888 kbps 28799 qf 2778  pics 25.000 frames 25.000 Fields 50,000

Pic 720X576  sar 1.250(5:4) Par 1.067(16:15) Dar 1.333(4:3)

• 20. Re: Hi There
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's look at that little matrix of buttons, in the lower-left. First, we'll render the Video, the first 1, far left. If that works fine, you'll get a message to that effect in the panel to the right. Hit the 2, just below it, for the next step. You'll get another message in the panel to the right. If there are errors, make note of those. If no errors, press the 3 in that column. Now, press the 1 under Audio, and look for any messages in that pane. Follow with the 2 and the 3. If all tests well, you should then be able to "play" your file in the little G-Spot player window at the upper-left, and hear the Audio - note: you may have to turn your volume up in that player.

While we're at it, do your Exported AVI files play in, say Windows Media Player (WMM)? Do they have Audio there? If not, do you have Audio back in PrE on the Timeline? Do you have Audio on the computer, if you play one of the Windows .WAV sound files?

Good luck, and let us know how the G-Spot and WMM tests work,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Hi There
                                                  moviemaker53 Level 1

Pressed 1  it says a lot but mainly  "Not rendered yet"  no 2 says failed to connect optput pin 0x044a6dd4("Src Media"  video render ok. Another failed to connect output pin with two different numbers 0x044b898c ("Scr Media") and no 0x044b822c ( "stream 00") fail error 0x80040207  this is all double douch to me hope it makes sense to You.. Thanks

Janna  Bennett

• 22. Re: Hi There
                                                    moviemaker53 Level 1

No i checked no wave files in media player or real player for that matter

• 23. Re: Hi There
                                                      moviemaker53 Level 1

When i put the clip on the time line it carries on like it is conforming but then there is no sound just a straight  line.. How  do i analize another clip ?? do i put it on top ?? or re open gspot/// as maybe be if i analize a clip with sound i cna see whats different ///or do you know what it should say already ???/

• 24. Re: Hi There
                                                        moviemaker53 Level 1

Have to go out my grandchild is ill.. will be back on line this arvo I really appreciate you support... I actually fell better than i have in weeks over this matter I feel i am getting some resolve !!!

• 25. Re: Hi There
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

This indicates that the files are not up to spec. A DV-AVI should Render perfectly every time. What you have encountered sounds like a common issue with DV-AVI Type I files, that are not Exported properly.

Let's step back to your Export settings for your Timeline. Please give us all details, as something is amiss there.

[Edit] Oops, these are your source files, not your Export files, right? Let's step back to where you got these files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Hi There
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

All the best with your grandchild - nurse them back to great health.

I'm in Colorado on assignment for a week. I'll check back, upon my return. Hope that things on all fronts go well.

Good luck,

Hunt