9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 12:25 PM by Gyno-jiz

Extension of the crop tool

LaDiamant

Today in order to erase what is outside a selected area in a layer you do:

1. chosing a object or area

2. inverse the selection

3. delete

My suggestion is to create a '1 layer/folder' crop tool  and save all thuse steps.

That's a procedure that all of us use many times every day and make sense to improve it.

What do you think?

LaDiamant

• 1. Re: Extension of the crop tool
          Gyno-jiz Level 5

Not to mention your workaround doesn't crop the layer at all, it just deletes what's on the layer to the canvas bounds. If you have a bunch of junk on that layer outside the canvas bounds it's not deleted.

Your request is very actionable. If you email photoshop.forums  at . . . gmail.com I can send you the action.

• 2. Re: Extension of the crop tool
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Here's your solution, really once again available already in photoshop

Record an Action… step by step

• With your selection still active Press command J

• Press option left bracket, which will navigate to the original layer

• Delete current layer (delete key)

• Option right bracket

Now this action can be given an F key shortcut, meaning that with the simple press of a key you can crop layers, and anything outside including anything outside the Canvas area.Only issue, it will rename the layer with the word 'copy'

I know its a workaround, but its better than a menu command as far as I can see.

• 3. Re: Extension of the crop tool
              Gyno-jiz Level 5

Nice one Mark. You should have seen the action I emailed him. And you can work around layer masks easily enough. If you clear the original layer by applying a blank mask, you can then merge down into it to keep the same name.

• 4. Re: Extension of the crop tool
                Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Oh yeah, forgot about masks.  Reckon its still possible to automate the entire process, would need conditionals (scripting) to establish whether the layer has a mask or not I think.

• 5. Re: Extension of the crop tool
                  Gyno-jiz Level 5

Well you can do a group, merge, then load layer transparency. I think you can avoid conditionals by saving original layer trans and then doing math to this new group merge layer trans.

• 6. Re: Extension of the crop tool
                    Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                    doing math to this new group merge layer trans.

? Understand the rest, but what does that mean?

• 7. Re: Extension of the crop tool
                      Gyno-jiz Level 5

I just mean if you group, merge the layer and subtract the original layer trans from this new layer trans, you parse out a non-conditional layer mask selection. It doesn't stop you from creating a white mask for a layer that never had one. That part is left for scripts, I think.

• 8. Re: Extension of the crop tool
                        Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                        you parse out a non-conditional layer mask selection

OK, after banging my head several times, again I was unable to obtain sufficient blood flow to understand that one. I think its possible too by activating the mask, select canvas, and then copying and pasting the active area layer mask into the new mask . Like you and I said, conditionals would really be required to determine mask or no mask. Or two actions

Lets face it, maybe the posters initial request is a good one  - useful feature request! Could work on Groups too, eliminating pixels outside canvas area for all containing layers

• 9. Re: Extension of the crop tool
                          Gyno-jiz Level 5

Layer 1 is the original. With or without a mask. Action doesn't know.

1 Save "layer 1" trans

2 Duplicate "layer 1"

3 Create a new "layer 2" on top and fill with select all

4 Merge down preserving the mask (action must be recorded with a masked layer, but won't choke when run on a bare layer)

5 Put layer 1 copy in "group 1" and merge "group 1"

Layer "group 1" trans is the mask trans

I think you're right, I was full of it before but this is rock solid.