3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 12:00 PM by Peter Flynn (Adobe)

Working with text

Handycam Level 1

I imported an Illustrator CS4 file, clicked the check box for keeping text editable.  However, and import it said something about "Myriad Light" not being available, and several of my text objects were formatted incorrectly.

1 - I did not use Myriad Light, just the Myriad that Illustrator defaults to, plus bold and semibold.

2- I cannot change the font in FC.  Every text object displays as "formatted text must edit in illustrator".

How do I bring in my file so the text uses a font that I can change in FC, and (further) then use in FB4?  The tutorial I watched actually used Myriad.

• 1. Re: Working with text
          Eric Lopatin (Adobe)

Hi,

Just replied to your "unable to run Project" post. Should've started here first

Myriad Semibold is likely the cause of the problem here. In this Beta, there are some known bugs with correctly importing fonts that are not bold, italic or a combination of the two. Fonts like Myriad Pro Semibold Condensed usually end up importing with the wrong attributes in your MXML code, or cause an improper missing font error. This will be fixed by the next Beta. Sorry if the content you downloaded for the tutorial includes a problematic font. Let me know if this was the case and we'll ask the author to update the tutorial's source files.

To edit text that you imported, just right-click the text on the artboard and choose Edit In Illustrator. This will launch Illustrator where you can make edits. Then hit File>Save, confirm the warning dialog that AI shows and close the doc there. Return to Catalyst and choose to accept your changes.

-Eric

• 2. Re: Working with text
            Handycam Level 1

I had a feeling, so I went back and change my type to be either Myriad Bold

or Myriad regular, and it works now.

Glad to hear this is a known bug and is being looked into.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Working with text
              Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

The 'formatted text ... edit in Illustrator' message you're seeing is a limitation of this beta.  You can look forward to much-improved text editing features in the next public beta of Flash Catalyst.

- Peter