7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 12:29 PM by Handycam

Masked images in Illustrator

Handycam Level 1

My illustrator cs4 file had a placed image that was masked (just cropped with a rectangle)..  When the file came into FC, there was no image at all.

How do I set up a cropped image in Illustrator that I can bring into FC, cropped?

• 1. Re: Masked images in Illustrator
          Handycam Level 1

I embedded the image, now it works.  Might want to mention that somewhere.

• 2. Re: Masked images in Illustrator
            Eric Lopatin (Adobe) Level 2

Thanks for this post. I'm checking with the QE who handles Illustrator import to see if this is a known bug; we'll get back to you soon.

-Eric

• 3. Re: Masked images in Illustrator
              Handycam Level 1

Yes, it came into FC after embedding, but the object's size was the size of

the whole image, not just the masked area.  In this case, that's ok, but in

other case it would be better to have the image cropped to the size/shape of

the mask.

• 4. Re: Masked images in Illustrator

Can you let me know what format the source image was saved in?

I agree, it would be a more refined solution if we only imported the cropped image, instead of the entire image. Or perhaps offered an option to crop. Right now we convert the source image to PNG and import it in its entirety regardless of whether it was masked by an object in Illustrator.

• 5. Re: Masked images in Illustrator
                  Handycam Level 1

The placed image was a PNG file.

Yes, if the image needed to animate at all, or was in the center of my app, there would be a big problem.

• 6. Re: Masked images in Illustrator

Here's the deal with the imported PNG. On import we use an Illustrator CS4 library to convert to FXG, then merge the FXG into the MXML of your project. While our current CS4 library supports incoming .psd, .jpeg, .tiff and other formats, it doesn't support PNG. So the PNG is dropped. This is noted in the beta release notes under the Illustrator import section, and will be fixed when we integrate a newer version of the library next month.

With regard to animating the masked image and keeping SWF sizes to a minimum.. fortunately and unfortunately, the masking happens at runtime. In this case – not a great solution. However what's already on the table for performance reasons is offering an option to crop Photoshop Shape layers to their masked boundaries on import. We may be able to leverage some of this code to crop masked items on Illustrator import as well. I'll check into it and talk to a couple of our developers.

-Eric

• 7. Re: Masked images in Illustrator
                      Handycam Level 1

Thanks, that makes sense.  It would be nice if in AI something like "Expand" would in fact perform the crop (like applying a mask layer permanently in PS does.

I'm not worried about the file size at this point, but if my design called for a round image it would seem at this point the AI/FC combo could not handle that.  I'd have to mask the round image in PS, save it as PNG24, and then place that in my AI layout before bringing that into FC.