14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2009 12:36 PM by Ann Bens

Timer

olnimrods Level 1

How can I create a timer for lower thirds (counting up)?

• 1. Re: Timer
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

For one method, see: FAQ:How can I mask the timecode effect to display only the digits I want?

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Timer
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie,

Thanks for Curt's tutorial. While I've used TimeCode in both PrPro and AE, all I've ever needed was the full TimeCode. Now, I would probably have spent days looking for settings in either PrPro or AE, before I would have thought about masking. I can see some potential uses for Curt's technique, a la 24. Neat! Now I just need to find an appropriate place to use it. Learned about something that I did not even realize that I needed...

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Timer
              olnimrods Level 1

Eddie,

Thanks for the information the masking idea would work great for some applications.

I didn't make myself clear, the timer that I'm looking for needs to be displayed in min:seconds:tenths & hundreths of a second. We shoot athletic events and this type of timer would be very useful. I just thought someone might have come accross a plug in or know of a lower third that has that type of timer in it.

Thanks for your help

Jerry

• 4. Re: Timer
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Jerry,

How do you envisage a timer displaying 100-ths of seconds when you only have 25 or 30 frames per second? That is impossible.

• 5. Re: Timer
                  olnimrods Level 1

Hi Harm,

You are correct if we only use the time line timer. But a timer is just that if it's format is to count time instead of frames then the problem would be solved. I have shot a close up of a timer starting at zero and letting it run for the length of time I needed and used the lower third to bring it in. I was just hoping someone might have already skinned the cat and had created a plugin. sorry for the inconvience.

Jerry

• 6. Re: Timer
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can make a timer in AE with tenths of seconds.

• 7. Re: Timer
                      Thrill Media Level 2

I have an hour 01 and an hour 02 timer that I could probably upload if you still need it.  I just use it as an overlay layer, it works great.  Let me know if interested. It is 30 fps.

Curtis

• 8. Re: Timer
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

You are correct if we only use the time line timer.

Harm is actually correct for any sort of visible timer.  There are only 30 frames per second.  So any timer with greater resolution than 1/30th of a second will not be able to show all the numbers.

• 9. Re: Timer
                          olnimrods Level 1

Hi Curtis that would be great if would not mind, it certainly would help.

Thank You for you help.

Jerry

• 10. Re: Timer
                            olnimrods Level 1

Hi Jim,

The timer does not have to reflect the actual frames. We do not cut the footage or use more than one camera to capture the race. The timer would be a visual indicator for the viewing audiance. But I will figure it out and I appreciate everyones' time.

Thanks Guys,

Jerry

• 11. Re: Timer
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

The timer does not have to reflect the actual frames.

Understood.  Harm's point was that any timer used for video won't be effective with a resolution beyond the video frame rate.  If you have a timer showing 60ths of a second, only every other number will show.  A timer with 1/90th of a second resolution will show only every third number.  See?

• 12. Re: Timer
                                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim, I think he now gets that part, but he's not telling us (and he doesn't need to) how he plans to make this an accurate portrayal.  In a one camera shoot, I don't think he has any point of reference that will be more accurate that the frame accuracy.

Jerry, some of your statements earlier in the thread make it appear that you actually see this as a "timer."  (E.g. "We shoot athletic events and this type of timer would be very useful." and "But a timer is just that if it's format is to count time instead of frames then the problem would be solved." and "The timer would be a visual indicator for the viewing audiance.")

Now if you have a high speed camera on a stopwatch to the 100's or some other way of getting time to that precision that you can synch to the video, maybe you have a chance.  But at every point you want to add the time, there is no guarantee that the frame of video you display is any more accurate that the frame rate.

So for dramatization, sounds fun.  For a method of adding an actual "timer" to athletic events, not so sure.

• 13. Re: Timer
                                  olnimrods Level 1

Gentlemen,

I beg your pardon for causing so much of a problem, that was not my intent.There seems to a general consensus that if I do not use the frame rate the acuracy will not be correct.

But time is simply relavent, where I live I am traveling at roughly 338.76 miles per hour on this planet of ours and I do not notice it at all. (I am jokingly refering to the rotation of the earth at this point).

The timeline timer counts hours: minuets: seconds: frames. Everyone seems to be fixated on counting frames as if it is the only way we could be accurate. I just simply disagree becouse I have shot a close up of a timer amd placed it on the screen and they both matched except for the frames and the hundreths/tenths.

As I have said before I had hoped some one might have done this before with a plug in or some trick and it would have saved me the time of going out to a race and setting up a camera and shooting the timer for the longest race and using that footage for my timer.

Sorry for the inconvienence and I move we close this thread and move on with life.

Thank You All for your time,

Jerry

• 14. Re: Timer
                                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP