14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2008 2:05 PM by Newsgroup_User

QuickTime does not play smothly

Fragboy
      hi all.
      We had a hard drive go bad in a koisk and we put a new hard drive in and now when we play Quicktime file they do not play smothly, they stop and go and the audio studders. The system is a Windows XP P4 2.8Ghz, with 2 gig ram, 80gig HD and internal video card (motherboard). These QT files play fine on my other system. they also play fine in the QT player. they just play bad in director. I am using Director MX. All drivers are up to date. Any ideas on what might be causing it to happen as it worked before and all I changed was the Hard Drive. both HD were 7200 rpm drives. also i know using the internal video card is not the greatest thing but it did work be for.

thanks.
        • 1. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant
          If the only thing that changed was the hard drive, then I would suspect the hard drive first. I'm guessing that this new drive may have either a smaller cache size or is restricting the data stream in some other way.
          • 2. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
            Fragboy Level 1
            Well it is possible, but i can not see that a 40gig hard drive from 4 years ago would be faster then a newer 80gig drive but i will check. the only other thing to try is to buy a video card and see if that works. ideally i would like to figure out why it is not running smooth.
            • 3. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
              Level 7
              KenSneeden posted in macromedia.director.basics:

> Well it is possible, but i can not see that a 40gig hard drive
              > from 4 years ago would be faster then a newer 80gig drive but i
              > will check. the only other thing to try is to buy a video card and
              > see if that works. ideally i would like to figure out why it is
              > not running smooth.

Slight possibility that the new drive needs to be defragged? If those
              are LARGE video files, they might be severely fragmented. If the
              throughput on the videos is already pushing the system's capabilities,
              defragging /might/ improve things.

Worth trying before getting a new display card, anyway.

--
              Mark A. Boyd
              Keep-On-Learnin' :)
              • 4. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                Level 7
                KenSneeden wrote:
                > We had a hard drive go bad in a koisk and we put a new hard drive in
                > and now when we play Quicktime file they do not play smothly, they
                > stop and go and the audio studders.

Assuming it's a PATA drive and you have few straws left to clutch, it is
                possible that when the old HDD was going bad the OS put it into PIO mode
                instead of DMA mode. In Device Manager, go to the properties for the
                Primary/Secondary (as appropriate) IDE channel and check under the Advanced
                Settings.

Andrew

• 5. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                  Fragboy Level 1
                  i already checked the DMA it is ok.

it is a new hard drive so defraging will not do anything.
                  I think i will try to see if i can swap out a card with one of our other computer to rule out codec or onboard video
                  • 6. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                    Fragboy Level 1
                    What everyone thoughts on maybe the newer quicktime is over taxing director as to a older QuickTime?
                    • 7. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                      Level 7

"KenSneeden" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:gb8jb4$gnm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > What everyone thoughts on maybe the newer quicktime is over taxing
                      > director as to a older QuickTime?

Hi,

I dont see how this would influence the performance of the existing
                      system.
                      You did not change anything on the system other the HD, right?
                      Or? :(

Richard

• 8. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                        Fragboy Level 1
                        yea nothing else changed but the HD.

here is something weird. I put in a radeon 2400 HD pro 512 Ram and did not install drive, i just wanted to see if it would play better. it played fine with the standard VGA windows driver. as soon as i install the OEM driver it goes back to studdering or stop video motion. We also bought a video card for it and that is a GeForce 8500GT 1gig ram, it did the same thing when i installed the driver for that. So i am woundering if there is someting wrong with the motherboard. Video works fine, just not in director but maybe director is adding enough overhead that it causes the video to stop.
                        I tried to keep the VGA driver but it keeps asking to install hardware and only give me AIT for option.
                        • 9. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                          Level 7
                          KenSneeden posted in macromedia.director.basics:

> i already checked the DMA it is ok.
                          >
                          > it is a new hard drive so defraging will not do anything.
                          > I think i will try to see if i can swap out a card with one of
                          > our other computer to rule out codec or onboard video

Are any of these files > 2GB?

Was the old HD formatted as NTFS while the new is FAT or FAT32?

--
                          Mark A. Boyd
                          • 10. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                            Fragboy Level 1
                            the biggest file is 1 gig and the smallest is 24MB they play the same both sizes studder.
                            I do not know what the old format was i am guessing it was Fat32 as it came from dell computers. it was Windows XP Pro for the OS
                            • 11. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                              Fragboy Level 1
                              ok all i found out why it is not working. Director MX 2004 is not compatible with the newest version of QuickTime. I installed QuickTime version 6.4 and all videos work fine. So if anyone is have problems with quick time running bad in director mx go try the 6.4 version of quick time.

thanks again to all.
                              • 12. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                                Level 7
                                Fragboy posted in macromedia.director.basics:

> ok all i found out why it is not working. Director MX 2004 is not
                                > compatible with the newest version of QuickTime. I installed
                                > QuickTime version 6.4 and all videos work fine. So if anyone is
                                > have problems with quick time running bad in director mx go try
                                > the 6.4 version of quick time.

Well, that was a weird one, but thanks for the follow up.

--
                                Mark A. Boyd
                                • 13. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                                  Level 7

"Fragboy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                  news:gbba3q$sft$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > ok all i found out why it is not working. Director MX 2004 is not
                                  > compatible
                                  > with the newest version of QuickTime. I installed QuickTime version
                                  > 6.4 and all
                                  > videos work fine. So if anyone is have problems with quick time
                                  > running bad in
                                  > director mx go try the 6.4 version of quick time.
                                  >
                                  > thanks again to all.
                                  >

Hello,
                                  thanks for reporting, but I dont understand:
                                  I thought you said you had not changed anything on the machine, then
                                  how come QuickTime can have something to do with the problem?

Have you been wasting our braincells? ;)

Richard

• 14. Re: QuickTime does not play smothly
                                    Level 7
                                    At this stage in life, I have precious few left to waste. ;-)

>
                                    > Have you been wasting our braincells? ;)
                                    >
                                    > Richard
                                    >
                                    >