1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 13, 2009 9:41 AM by David_F57

posing a question for those well versed in flash and flex

popster Level 1

I would like to start an off-line communication chat with those of you who are well versed in Flash and Flex.

I've worked with Cold Fusion but I am not up to date on all the technologies available.  This seems like the perfect forum for this question.

I simply want to build an application (web or desktop is unknown) in which a person can learn a foreign language, in this case English.

I need some technical advice as to whether Flash, Flex, or a combination of technologies (Cold Fusion for server side functionality) is the best choice for this application.  I do not understand the technical aspects of Flash or Flex in building applications so I need the advice of you experts.

As with most foreign language textbooks, audio, or foreign language video training, the material is not interesting, not pertinent to daily life, and is great for late night insomnia.  I've never seen any type of foreign language training that is interesting, fun, or uses current events as part of the curriculum.

I would like to illustrate my idea with an example.  I want to use an existing English beginners textbook (for kids), scan the images in the textbook, store the content (rules of grammar) in a database and store example sentences in a database.

I would like to record basic audio sentences from the textbook (Do you know tomorrow's weather), incorporate some animation (baseball player hitting a home run), incorporate some basic video (purchasing an item at the grocery store), add a quiz, test question or puzzles, etc..

In addition, since this is a classroom setting and the kids are split into groups, I would like to store a seating chart with the kids names and pictures in a database.  After the first segment is finished (e.g. purchasing a toy at the store) the kids next perform an activty.  I want to use a combination of audio, video, and animation to explain the activity, give instructions, split the class into groups,and perform the activity.

As I mentioned before, I would like to start an off-line discusion for those of you who are willing to share some of you knowledge and experience with both Flash and Flex.  Since you are extremely busy, maybe you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Hopefully, some of you can provide some sound technical advice.

Thanks in advance

Michael Poplawski

• 1. Re: posing a question for those well versed in flash and flex
          David_F57 Level 5

This is an abitious project even for some-one well versed in flex/flash, i have to give you points for outstanding courage on this .

You need to cover quite a few areas in a project like this both for the client and the back end, you need a strong understanding of animation(either through code or the flash timeline), data parsing, logic trees for the quiz/test elements and a lot more before the first line of code would be written.

In Australia there are already a few companies using flex for online educational applications and at least 1 state educational Authority. A search on the internet will find several sites pertaining to flash/flex based online education software and this would be a starting point to give you an idea of the strength flex has in this area.

Beyond this it is not the sort of project that 'help' would be readily available for unless it was relating to very specific issues you could readily define. Also this is not the best forum to request this type of help as the forum is more about testing a beta product. I am sure that if you start learning about flex and have trouble understanding different aspects of how things work there will be plenty of support from the flex community.

Message was edited by: David_F57 by forum I don't mean the whole forum just this branch.