4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2008 1:14 PM by Gravenstein

RH7 on WinXP Won't Open: CPU @ 100%

forme3d Level 1
      Last week I noticed that RH7 would just lock up in the middle of trying to open a project from the main page. I noticed that the CPU was also pegged at 100%. This week I click on the RH7 icon to open the application and it won't even open. When I Ctrl-Alt-Del and open the Task Manager and click the Performance tab I see that the CPU is pegged at 100%. When I kill the RoboHtml.exe process the CPU drops to around 50+. This tells me that it is the RH7 application that is causing the CPU to lock up. Any suggestions as to why this is happening and how to prevent it. I have called IT and told them of my issue. I believe they will just reinstall the application and updates and give it back. I may have to get the support contract from IT as well and present this to Adobe.
      Thanks,
      Mike
        • 1. Re: RH7 on WinXP Won't Open: CPU @ 100%
          Gravenstein Level 2
          Be careful with IT doing the install. RH needs to be installed with your login, and you need administrative privileges on your machine.

Your problem could be due to a number of things. Does your PC meet the minimum requirements for RH? Do you have other applications open? (Outlook and RH both use a lot of resource.) Have you ever opened this project successfully? Also, do you get the same result if you try to open an example project from RH rather than one of your own projects?

G
          • 2. Re: RH7 on WinXP Won't Open: CPU @ 100%
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional
            RH7 does not need to be installed with your own login. The procedure changed with RH7. You can install it with your own login as long as that has admin rights attached or an IT admin can install it as they have the necessary rights.

Apart from that, go with what Gravenstein has suggested.

• 3. Re: RH7 on WinXP Won't Open: CPU @ 100%
              MergeThis Level 4
              Two other situations that tend to result in your issues:

* The IT folks have set up some sort of "virtual" disk on your machine that is really working over a network (which RH can simply not abide).

* Your organization is using some virus protection software that does not "recognize" your RH files, and therefore refuses to deal with them.

Good luck,
              Leon
              • 4. Re: RH7 on WinXP Won't Open: CPU @ 100%
                Gravenstein Level 2
                Thanks, Peter, that's good to know. And further to Leon's comments, anti-virus software can have a big impact on RH performance, at least during certain kinds of operations. Take a look at your Task Manager and see whether it's RoboHelp or your anti-virus tool that's using the most cycles.

G