2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2009 10:05 AM by Luke6

Tweaking edge in keying with Keylight

Luke6

Hi, I'm having trouble getting rid of a wiggling fur around my foreground subject after keying with Keylight 1.2.See screenshots in status and final result views (when I preview the outer edge comes alive in a horrible wiggle).

I've tried tweaking with Screen Gain, Screen Matte white and black, Screen Shrink/Grow, Softness etc. I just can't seem to get rid of this wiggling halo. I admit my background bluescreen wasn't perfect, but I should still be able to get a better result that what I'm getting. Can anyone help? Cheers

• 1. Re: Tweaking edge in keying with Keylight
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What is the source of the footage? You may simply be seeing compression artifacts which should be removed before keying. Your 2nd image is still queued (use the camera indstead of an attachemnt top avoid that), but that would be my first guess. If so, you may need to work on that. This can be done with plug-ins like Magic Bullet Frames, Revision FX SmoothKit or techniques inside AE. A simple one would be to use Shift Channels to extract the luminance, blur it slightly, then add a duplicate of your layer in Color blending mode on top of it to recombine it. All of that in a pre-comp, of course. There are many other ways, but give it a spin and see if it makes a difference. In the effect itself you may need to adjust the Despill Bias (decoupled from the Alpha Bias) and the Clip Rollback. This usually helps.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Tweaking edge in keying with Keylight
            Luke6 Level 1

Thanks for that. I tried out what you said and got a slightly better result, although I'm still far off a smooth, crisp edge between my subject and the background. Oh well, this is no doubt because of lighting problem against a mediocre blue screen. A good lesson to get all those parameters right in the first place. Cheers

Lucas Chambers

Journalist

+41 78 672 6645

www.lucaschambers.com