11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 6:51 AM by the_wine_snob

audio crossfade??

shanty hill productions

I cannot get my audio to mesh nicely.

I read in another post that the constant power crossfade increases and decreases

audio at the end and beginning of the clips, but it does nothing to mine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tonya

I am using cs2

• 1. Re: audio crossfade??
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tonya,

PrPro does not have a true Audio Crossfade Transition, per se. However, if what I think you want is for one Audio Clip to fade out, while another fades in, the easiest way is to place each Audio Clip on a separate Audio Track (AT), with just a bit of overlap between the end of the first, and the beginning of the next. That overlap should be about the Duration of the transition time that you will want. Add a Constant Power, or Constant Gain, to the Tail of one Clip and the Head of the other Clip. These two Transitions are similar, but different. Listen to each, to determine which one exactly matches your needs. Might be one, or the other. Now, you will have created a true Crossfade. Experiment with both the overlap and with the Duration of the Transitions. Should work fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Here's how it looks on the Timeline:

Premiere_Audio_Crossfade01.jpg

• 2. Re: audio crossfade??
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            PrPro does not have a true Audio Crossfade Transition, per se

I'm curious about why you say that.

• 3. Re: audio crossfade??
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If one has two Audio Clips, butted to each other, there will be nothing to Cross-dissolve. You can of course Fade the Power, or Gain down on the first, and then up on the second.

Now, if one establishes In and Out Points for the Audio, creating Handles, my statement would be incorrect I think I see your point and it's well-taken.

Hunt

• 4. Re: audio crossfade??
                Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

As a profesisonal editor, I take it for granted that the very ends of any given clip will not be used, that handles will be available, thus allowing a true audio crossfade.

• 5. Re: audio crossfade??
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

And it could well be that I read more into the OP's problem, than was required to fix it. Since they seem to be MIA, maybe we'll never know if the A-B roll for the Audio did what they wanted.

Good points,

Hunt

• 6. Re: audio crossfade??
                    shanty hill productions Level 1

Hunt,

Sorry, was away for the weekend, but now have a new problem.

I didn't change any settings last week. I do the same thing week after week with my videos.

Today when I went to work on a project the video was jumpy.  It starts then stops then starts again.Audio and video.

Is is possible that I have a corrupt file in premiere and need to do a reinstall?

I cannot image what happened.  When I play video from encore it works fine so it isn't my video card.

Any thoughts--once I get this problem fixed, Ill try your suggestion with the audio, but I believe I tried that already.

Thanks again

Tonya

• 7. Re: audio crossfade??
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Tonya,

Please start by telling us much more about your system, and your Project, especially your Assets.

I'd put an uninstall/reinstall towards the back of the list, as most similar problems are related to:

1.) Assets

2.) System

3.) Project

Also, if it did work, but does not now, then something has changed. Things like an auto MS update to Windows can render one's video and audio drivers obsolete in a heartbeat. Most never know that these changes have even happened.

The more info you can provide, the easier it will be for others to diagnose the issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: audio crossfade??

Okay,

System

windows xp--know I should not use vista!

sp2- won't update to sp3 since it was the sp2 update  that rendered my 6.5 version useless!

dual core

2.40 ghz

1.97 gb ram

terabyte hard drive used solely for video

only hook up to the internet occasionally--but not sure if it did any updates the last time I was on line.

assets:

I video tape to a portable hard drive using On Location  so the format is AVI

I have multiple clips video taping stock car races.  Upload it to the computer when I get home and add a couple of titles

and transitions and thats about it.

Like I said, I do the same thing week after week and I know I didn't change any settings as far as the project goes.

As for an update, that is possible.  Where can I find what updates have been done?

Last night I got thinking that I could possibly go back to a restore point sometime last week.

Thanks very much for your time.  I don't understand much of the technical issues with this program, Im learning as I go and

I truly appreciate you guys that help me out.

• 9. Re: audio crossfade??
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Where can I find what updates have been done?

You should be able to look in Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, and check "Show Windows Updates," or similar. The list should be there in the order applied. Look for anything between the time that things worked, and then did not.

Though I have my OS set to do all updates manually, and most updates also create Restore Points before they install, I will manually do a Restore Point, before I apply any OS updates or hot-fixes.

You might want to create a Restore Point now. When done, go back to when things worked fine and Restore there. I find that doing the restoration always seems to go best from Safe Mode, but maybe that's just on my computers.

Give it a test and see if things are back to normal. Could well be a driver issue that came up with an update.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: audio crossfade??

Hunt,

I checked the updates and there are none since 5-14.

I did a system restore and that did correct the problem.

I guess Ill just wait and see if it comes back again.

Thank you for your help.  Ill get back to you on the audio crossfade and

let you know if I can make it work.

Thanks

Tonya

• 11. Re: audio crossfade??
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that it's working for you now. In the meantime, I would definitely turn all programs' auto-updates to manual. Do not forget that you've done that. Sometimes the updates can kill drivers, and if there are no newer drivers for some older hardware, on is hosed. There are some sites for building custom drivers, but these are a great deal of work, and often will not function, even if one has done the work correctly.

Do let us know about the Audio, when you get back to editing it. Remember, there is more than one way to "skin a cat." Pr offers many ways to do most things. One will be right for you.

Good luck,

Hunt