8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2009 10:48 AM by kglad

Beginners Flash Question

Stoneroses6300

Hi there. I'm new to flash so hopefully this won't be too much for anyone. I don't think it is. Anyways, I Purcahsed a template from allwebco. The link is

http://allwebcodesign.com/templates/tempT26/

If you look at the images that change in the middle, I want them to just change as the three images and stop at those three images while the text below it fades in and stops also. I don't want it to keep going onto to the next 6 images as you will see there are 9 images in total, and I don't want the next 2 texts to come below. Just 3 images and 1 text below it fade in like it does in the begining and then it stays static at the end. How would I do this in Flash? Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will grasp this soon.

BTW, I tried deleting the scenes of the actions for the text and actual images and shortening them thinking that this would make them stay in place, but that didnt work.

• 1. Re: Beginners Flash Question
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

noone's going to be able to answer that for you unless they look at your template.  you may be able to find the code that loads the images yourself and then you could get help changing that code.

if that's an as2 template, look for loadMovie() methods and comment them out (one-by-one) until you find the one that loads those images.  when you comment-out the correct one, none of the nine images will load.

• 2. Re: Beginners Flash Question
            Stoneroses6300 Level 1

Would anybody be able to look at the template for me?  If I get this answer questioned I'm sure it will make me learn more about flash.  I just can't seem to find the problem.  I edited the flash file so the actions end at one time but the boxes still keep appearing with nothing in them.  It seems like whatever I edit with the specific flash file is superfluous.

There's an ImageChanger.JS file in the template that picks up the flash.  This is the code for it.  I don't see anything that could change what I want though.  Thanks again,

<!-- Begin OPTIONS CODE

// IMAGE CHANGER OPTIONS FILE

// CHANGE ANY OF THESE VARIABLES

var flashwidth        = "450"        // WIDTH OF THE FLASH (IN PIXELS)
            var flashheight        = "160"        // HEIGHT OF THE FLASH (IN PIXELS)
            var color        = "FFFFFF"    // IMAGE CHANGER BACKGROUND COLOR

// YOU DO NOT NEED TO EDIT BELOW THIS LINE

document.write('<div id="flash">');
            document.write('<TABLE cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="'+flashwidth+'"><tr><td valign="middle" align="center">');
            document.write('<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" WIDTH="'+flashwidth+'" HEIGHT="'+flashheight+'" id="imagechanger">');
            document.write('<PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="imagechanger.swf">');
            document.write('<PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="high">');
            document.write('<PARAM NAME="wmode" VALUE="transparent">');
            document.write('<PARAM NAME="bgcolor" VALUE="#'+color+'">');
            document.write('<EMBED src="imagechanger.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" bgcolor="#'+color+'"  WIDTH="'+flashwidth+'" HEIGHT="'+flashheight+'" NAME="imagechanger" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED></OBJECT><br>');
            document.write('</td></tr></table>');
            document.write('</div>');

//  End -->

• 3. Re: Beginners Flash Question

zip your files and post a link or try to attach them here.  if you try to attach them here, allow some minutes after selecting your zip before BEFORE clicking post message.  and then check that your file is not queued.  if it's queued, retry.

• 4. Re: Beginners Flash Question
                Stoneroses6300 Level 1

Ok.  Thank's Kglad.  I appreciate the help.  Here is a zipped file of the template.  Let me know what I would need to edit.  No matter what I do to the flash file in adobe, it changes nothing with the flash on the main page. It's gotta be another file.  I just don't know which one.  Thanks again Kglad.

• 5. Re: Beginners Flash Question
                  Stoneroses6300 Level 1

Here is the link to the template through sendspace.  It looks like the forum is queing it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/esqmvp

• 6. Re: Beginners Flash Question

1.  open imagechanger.fla

2.  place a stop() on a new keyframe you create at frame 38

3.  publish your swf

4.  copy the swf from flash directory to the main directory over-writing the current imagechanger.swf

5.  test.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Beginners Flash Question
                      Stoneroses6300 Level 1

Hey Kglad.  Thank you so much for helping me out with this.  It worked perfect.  Out of curiosity.  What was the logic of inserting the Stop at 38 seconds?  Also I only put it in the "Action 1" layer, and not on the "Action 2" layer.  All I had to do was put it on the Action 1 layer (the 38 second keyframe stop) and both the text and the images stopped after being flashed in.  I thought I would need to put it in the Action 2 layer also.  I was assuming this because I was under the assumption the the Action 1 Layer controlled the flash of the text (since it was right above the text) and the Action 2 Layer controlled the images (since it was right above the images). Let me know on this. Thanks again KGlad!

• 8. Re: Beginners Flash Question

you're welcome.

layers don't even exist after you publish your swf.  their only purpose is to help assign depths to objects placed on stage and to make it easier to organize things in the ide.

the stop() on frame 38 stops that timeline from advancing.  as it advances it fades out the text and images and then executes code to load more images.  that's a pretty primitive setup made by someone not too knowledgeable about flash.