3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2009 11:05 AM by pixlor

Cropping with rounded corners

joombler Level 1

I recently changed from my good old ImageReady to Fireworks. What I really miss is cutting out (crop) a rectangle with rounded corners from an image.

ImageReady had this as a standard option, but in Fireworks I can only do that with right corners? Can someone pls tell me how I could do that? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Cropping with rounded corners
          pixlor Level 4

You can't crop an image to anything but rectangular, because image files are always rectangular (even with ImageReady). You can use a vector masks so that the corners of an image are transparent or anti-aliased to a background color (or other underlying images or objects), however.

You can acheive the effect you're asking about, though.

1) Add a white rounded-corner rectangle to your document and adjust its size and position to what you want. (I will usually set the opacity of an object down for this stage and then turn it back to 100%.)

2) Select the rectangle and your image.

3) From the menu, select Modify > Mask > Group as Mask.

Note that your original image is not modified, the mask only acts as kind of a window frame and can always be undone. If you wish to crop your image to the visible portion, you can use the menu item

Modify > Canvas > Trim Canvas.

You can use any vector shape to create a mask with, including text shapes. A white mask causes the underlying object be fully opaque. Black or transparent areas in the mask cause the underlying object to be transparent. Grey or partially transparent areas in the mask cause the underlying object to be proportionally transparent.

• 2. Re: Cropping with rounded corners
            joombler Level 1

Thanks, that works perfectly; great solution!

• 3. Re: Cropping with rounded corners
              pixlor Level 4

You're welcome!

Masks are really useful things and it's worth spending some time playing with them. You can use images as masks, too, and you can get some pretty interesting effects sometimes.