2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 2:53 AM by David Beedle

Acquiring movieclip instance names

David Beedle Level 1

I need to write a function that retrieves the instance names of movie clips without knowing what those instance names are.

Here's the scenario:

The timeline reaches a frame which has a movieclip with an instance name of "bigClip"

bigClip itself holds a number of movieclips, each with its own unique instance name. On the enterFrame of bigClip, I want to retrieve all the instance names that are on bigClip and put them in an array.

I can't seem to figure this out. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: Acquiring movieclip instance names
          Rothrock Level 5

Well I doubt you want to do it on the enterframe of bigClip. Do you really need to find the names of all the clips 30 times a second every second that big clip exists? I'm guessing/hoping you just mean when bigClip starts.

In any event you can make a function that returns an array. Perhaps something like this:

function findChildrenClips(clip:MovieClip):Array{

var theClips:Array=new Array();

for(var a in clip){

if(typeof(clip[a])=="movieclip"){

theClips.push(clip[a]);

}

return theClips;

}

Then on the frame where big clip exisits you can do this:

var foundClips:Array=findChildrenClips(bigClip);

Now if you really want to do this onEnterFrame you could probably do it, but there is probably a better way to structure your file in that case.

• 2. Re: Acquiring movieclip instance names
            David Beedle Level 1

Thanks so much. And yes, you're correct... using it in an onEnterFrame would not be the way to go.