6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2009 11:03 PM by Mylenium

Render Ceases and NEVER completes??

iphonedevworks.com

Hello good people - here is a funky quirk I have - I goto render my main composition in AE CS4

- it begins - gets through usally more than a third of the comp

- it does not matter which comp - any comp - and just stops. I have yet to successfully complete a comp on this new machine and fresh

- 3rd install of the AE CS4. Does anyone have the slightest clue wy this is occurring?

I would really welcome any help on this as I am fairly new to CS4 and I'm really pulling my hair out.

Machine - Asus P5E3 Wifi Deluxe

8GB Tripple channel 1600

Vista OS 64bit Ulitmate

Intel Quad Core 9650

Nvidia GTX 285 Open Gl 2.0

Many thanks good people, Derek in Florida.

• 1. Re: Render Ceases and NEVER completes??
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What are your render settings? Do you use OpenGL? Multiprocessing? Do you use disk caches? The rendering always stopping at the same point is a pretty clear indicator of some caches filling up or the system running out of storage memory for temporary data. also when rendering, use the Extra per Frame Info option for logging the process and twirl open the extended info on the Render Queue panel to see what's going on. also, to what drive do you render? Some network? A FAT-formatted external device? Both, network timeouts and the file size limit on FAT could also be a problem.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Render Ceases and NEVER completes??
            iphonedevworks.com Level 1

Thank you for the reply - First, I am a noob - sorry - second - the drive I'm using is a WD Raptor 300gb 10k rpm.

- As for this... use the Extra per Frame Info option for logging the process and twirl open the extended info on the Render Queue panel to see what's going on. - ??

Is there some kind of setting I need to switch on or off?

As for your other?'s - What are your render settings? Do you use OpenGL? Multiprocessing? Do you use disk caches?

I have no idea. lol What would you recommend?

Derek

• 3. Re: Render Ceases and NEVER completes??
              yenaphe Level 4

iphonedevworks.com wrote:

Thank you for the reply - First, I am a noob - sorry - second - the drive I'm using is a WD Raptor 300gb 10k rpm.

- As for this... use the Extra per Frame Info option for logging the process and twirl open the extended info on the Render Queue panel to see what's going on. - ??

Is there some kind of setting I need to switch on or off?

As for your other?'s - What are your render settings? Do you use OpenGL? Multiprocessing? Do you use disk caches?

I have no idea. lol What would you recommend?

Derek

How do you try to render your movie ? Do you use the "file > export" option or do you use the "composition > add to render queue (ctrl/cmd-m)" ?

First off all you should take a look at this help file, it will help you understand how AE render works. The OpenGL & Multiprocessing options can be found in the "edit > preferences > general" and "edit > preferences > memory" menu (on windows, for mac it's under After Effects > preferences). If they are on, turn them off and try to render again.

When AE fails the render, do you have an error message ? And what are your composition settings ?

Then, we can't really recommend you a render setting as we don't know what your composition settings are, and for what broadcast medium you want to render to. Is it for TV, DVD, BluRay, Internet, ... ?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Render Ceases and NEVER completes??
                iphonedevworks.com Level 1

Hello Sébastien -

ok - the problem remains - what I failed to mention in my previous posts was that it is occurring in the render preview as well - so no matter what my settings - I cannot figure this out.

- When AE fails the render, do you have an error message? NO - there is no error message at all. Never has been once.

- And what are your composition settings? What specifiaclly do you want me to share with you?  I'm basically using a deault stock AECS4 settings right now

- As well, I have downloaded the newest update/fix from adobe.

As for my render "medium" - TV - FLV - MPG4 - internet - DVD/Blue Ray and Quicktime. These are the typical uses I'm working with.

Sorry guys, I've only been using AE for a few months and not well versed in troubleshooting. I simply cannot figure out why this is occurring.

Please advise - Many thanks in advance. Derek

• 5. Re: Render Ceases and NEVER completes??
                  yenaphe Level 4

iphonedevworks.com wrote:

Hello Sébastien -

ok - the problem remains - what I failed to mention in my previous posts was that it is occurring in the render preview as well - so no matter what my settings - I cannot figure this out.

- When AE fails the render, do you have an error message? NO - there is no error message at all. Never has been once.

- And what are your composition settings? What specifiaclly do you want me to share with you?  I'm basically using a deault stock AECS4 settings right now

- As well, I have downloaded the newest update/fix from adobe.

As for my render "medium" - TV - FLV - MPG4 - internet - DVD/Blue Ray and Quicktime. These are the typical uses I'm working with.

Sorry guys, I've only been using AE for a few months and not well versed in troubleshooting. I simply cannot figure out why this is occurring.

Please advise - Many thanks in advance. Derek

The Ram preview won't probably preview your whole composition, it's a normal behavior. You can have more info about previewing here.

I'm sorry, but we can't help you without further information. "Default Stock AECS4 setting" is just too vague. We have to know your composition setting to try to figure out your problem. I cannot imagine that you don't even know the resolution of your files. If your composition is open, please do "ctrl/cmd k" to open your composition setting. Also what is the lenght of your comp, the content (is it audio/video footage, cg stuff, psd/ai files....) and how you try to render it (file > export or via render queue). Also, your render medium for this composition is too vague for us to be able give any relevent hints. You cannot add your composition to render without at least selecting a filetype, and if you can provide us with as many information as possible on the fileformat (avi, mov, h264...) and the codec (uncompressed, indeo, animation, mjpeg......). All this info can be found in the output module.

Also, if your render fails, without warning it's really strange. You should hae at least a dialogbox telling you a basic error message. In your folder where you tried to render your file, you may have a txt file containing the errors logged by the render engine. Could you paste it's content here ?

And last but not least, are you using a demo or a retail version of AE CS4 ?

• 6. Re: Render Ceases and NEVER completes??
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, let's take this step by step.

When you add an item to the render queue, in the right-hand area, there is a pop-up for the render log. It defaults to Errors only, but can be changed to otehr settings.

What are your render settings?

As Sébastien said - composition size, frame rate, quality settings, field settings output format. These can all be defined in the Render Quality Settings and Output Module Settings. Indeed just referring to "stock" settings does not offer any clues - a simple mismatch between the comp framerate and the required render framerate could have any number of ill effects.

Do you use OpenGL?

Rendering with OpenGL

Multiprocessing?

Memory & Multiprocessing prefs

Do you use disk caches?

Media Cache

Disk Cache

Mylenium