11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2009 10:52 PM by shooternz

Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video

Kurrykid Level 3

I am bringing in a video that is 320 x 240 and all I want to do is brighten it up.  So I add the Auto Level effect to the video and export it but I can't seem to get it to recognize the original file size.  It makes the video 720x480 and puts a big black box around it.  I have messed with different formats and such and can't seem to find a way for it to work.

Can anyone help with how I can export it as the original file size?

Thanks.

Dave

• 1. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Your source material does not match your sequence settings.

Best suggestion at this moment, and you are not going to like it, is get some decent schooling in video editing in general, then specifically oriented to Pr, then read the manual and help file.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you don't understand the basics, get some schooling first. Hand-holding sessions ended by the end of May.

• 2. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
            Kurrykid Level 3

Nice Harm...that's real helpful...NOT!

I've been doing video editing for years, thank you very much!  Just not in Premiere which I have started to work in.  I have done work in Ultra, Visual Communicator, MediaStudio Pro, and Sony Vegas.  The bottom line was that none of them required the match between the 2 (or if they did, it was never an issue).  If I brought in a video, it would adjust and compile it to the right size.  I also could select the size that I want when loading the project...not just a bunch of presets that don't match.

So your saying if I have original video at 320x240 then I can't use it?  Doesn't seem to flexible to me.  I cannot find any presets that will allow the match to be 320x240.

My best sugestion for you at this moment and you aren't going to like it is to get some patience.  If you can't handle helping newbies, then don't even respond.  Let someone else who has the heart of a teacher respond...someone who enjoys the satisfaction of helping someone achieve their goals.  Clearly that is not you.

Dave

• 3. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Dave,

If you cannot find presets that match your source you can make them yourself.

In the new sequence window under general you will find Editing Mode', set this to desktop.

Now you can fill in the rest to match your source. What is your source exactly?

For export what's the final product going to be?

• 4. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                So your saying if I have original video at 320x240 then I can't use it?  Doesn't seem to flexible to me.  I cannot find any presets that will allow the match to be 320x240.

No, that is not the answer. In CS4, one can establish a different Preset for each Sequence in a Project. In this case, I'd just do a new Sequence with the matching specs. for your footage. Do a Ctrl-a (Select All), Ctrl-c (Copy) and then navigate to your new Sequence and with the CTI at 00;00;00;00, hit Ctrl-v (Paste). Note: there have been issues with Transitions not doing well with a Copy/Paste situation. Be aware of that potential.

Once you have the footage in the new Sequence, your Export setting should also match the original specs.

I'd urge you to look at the Levels Effect (not the Auto Levels). The Auto version seems so useful, but I have found that all of the "Auto" versions can cause an unnerving "pulsing," of the images. Now, if the lighting and exposure is perfect throughout each Clip, just too dark, or whatever, then you might get by with it. Just a personal observation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
                  Kurrykid Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try it.  I am going to ultimately move it into Visual Communicator to do some work on it there so it will be recompiled again.

Thanks again for the help

Dave

• 6. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

that's real helpful...NOT!

You may not have liked the delivery, but the message actually is very helpful.  Had you read the Help file and understood the workings of the software, you'd not be here asking this question.

Being new at something doesn't excuse willful ignorance.

• 7. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Dave,

If you take a look at all the different formats people use around here, maybe you understand that for every format a preset to be available  would make up a list equal the the phonebook of Manhattan (if you want to scroll through all imaginable formats varying between 4000x4000 and 80x60 with all the different framerates and PAL/NTSC versions).

That's why there are desktop settings, where you can customize your sequence settings to the source material. Had you read the manual or help file you would not have needed to ask such a basic question. You claim to have used Ultra for example. What happened when you used HDV, DV and 320x240 material and different sized stills? OK, you had to use zoom to make it fit. Same applies here.

• 8. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
                        Kurrykid Level 3

I did use the help file and didn't find it...probably because I didn't know the right thing to search for. I am not impressed with the CS4 help either...seems difficult to find your answers. Also someone mentioned a manual...if there is one I'd sure like to know where.

And finally, I do try to learn before posting. I watched the 3+ hour training on Lynda.com and the desktop option wasn't explained there.

Dave

• 9. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          I did use the help file and didn't find it

We mean the whole Help file, front to back, not as a reference to solve any particular problem, but as a way to learn the program's operation.

• 10. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
                            Kurrykid Level 3

Boy I can see this crowd is going to be real fun to deal with

• 11. Re: Can't Seem to Export as the Same Size as the Original Video
                              shooternz Level 6

We are not all like those guys so ignore them like most of the rest of us do.... and ask what you want,...whenever you want.  Plenty of experienced people willing to help around here apart from them.

BTW.  They actually seriously believe they are helping you so dont condemn them too much.  Occasionally they have their contributions that are very valuable as well.