13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 2:06 PM by EdEditz

Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?

matt.choules

Hi Everyone,

Having followed a few tutorials I understand and can track things in After Effects and can stabilize the motion of a video.

Great.

But now I need to stabilize the motion of some video that isn't tracking anything, its a set of panning shots.

There is never a single point that remains a constant through the shots as its a series of close ups of a boat...

So, obviously I can track a single point until it disappears out of the frame, but then I need to swap the reference point to a new point.

How do I do this?

Cheers in advance.

- Rumple

• 1. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

matt.choules wrote:

How do I do this?

With a lot of manual fiddling. You could still track individual segemnts and then use a free script called TrackerViz to balance out the offsets. If you have CS4, simply use mochaAE. Since it's based on pattern detection, it can deal with content going off screen and in addition allows you to animate the region being tracked (within limits). The only other viable alternative would be point cloud trackers as used for 3D matchmoving and then we're talking SynthEyes, PFTrack or Boujou, which all cost money, plus possibly another bag of problems when having to turn your layers in AE into 3D to be compliant with the stabilized 3D camera data.... Another option would be to "stitch" together a very wide comp by placing the same clip side by side a number of times with time offsets, then track that pre comp. There's really no easy solution to such things, but with a litlle patience and creative thinking it's possible.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
            matt.choules Level 1

I've attempted to register with aenhancers to get some feedback on the likeliness of TrackerViz being able to do what I need it to.

However I have to wait for an Admin to activate my account...

I've lost nearly another whole day. Grrrr.

• 3. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
              Navarro Parker Level 3

This might sound silly, but have you tried running it through iMovie 09?  It has a pretty good stabilizer.  And it's free.  Or if you have Final Cut Pro 6, you can run SmoothCam on it (which is pretty amazing)

• 4. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
                matt.choules Level 1

I'm a PC user, so no...

thanks for the suggetion though.

I am STILL waiting for AE Enhance to activate my account so I can ask about TrackerViz.

It sounds stupid, and I did try it, but you can't just track an element until it leaves the clip, then start a new tracker and then copy all of the data from the new tracker(s) to the first can you?

The only other option I can think of at this point is to cut the clip into smaller parts, track each part, then join it together again, but that gives it own problems with allignment.

I am running out of time though.

• 5. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?

TrackerViz can be found here: MacDadd's Website. Also try KeyTweak. Simply copying&pasting data will not work. The feature centers and actual motion data will have too big differences (as any new track will start at a different point relative to the comp), that's why you need those scripts...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
                    matt.choules Level 1

Ok, i spent a full hour watching the TrakViz tutorial, and although it's clever and I can see it's uses I don't think its going to help me with my problem...

Here is a link to an example of the video I am trying to track...

http://www.mattchoules.co.uk/help.html

Most of the footage is fine except for when the camera dips down to face the water.

I could edit that out, yes, but this is just an example I threw online, there are other shots that are very close up that pan across the entire length of the boat where only a small part of the boat will remain in shot for a few seconds.

Sorry to keep flogging this like a dead horse, but as I mentioned time is running out and I need help!

Thus far I have been using the method posted on the Video Co-pilot tutorials to smooth out the motion stabilisation, but this is all I am stuck on now.

Cheers.

• 7. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?

matt.choules wrote:

Most of the footage is fine except for when the camera dips down to face the water.

Mmh, yeah, such scenarios will never be perfectly trackable, there's simply not enough fixed points. Eve na 3D tracker would not find a valid solution here. I'm afraid it's one of those cases where you will have to come up with creative excuse and flashy effects to disguise some of the problems. The first three quarters of frames should be perfectly trackable, though. Might take a little forward/ backward tracking magic, starting in the middle of the clip, and multiple passes, but doable no less.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
                        matt.choules Level 1

Unfortunately, this is the easy one...

>_<

• 9. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
                          matt.choules Level 1

A friend of mine suggests maybe creating another null object and do a 2nd track further on in the footage, then parent the first null to the second and see if that works.

Sounds simple enough, but i'm sure theres a pit fall in there...

• 10. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
                            matt.choules Level 1

Figured it out!!!

Watch the clip and find an element that says in shot for as long as possible, stabilize using that as your source.

Then Make a null and a 50mm 3d camera, turn the video 3d button on, copy the anchor data to the null, parent the camera to the null.

Add the expression smooth(.5,5) to the null's anchor data. (increase or decrease numbers as required)

Move on one frame from the end of the area you have just tracked and find a new element to track.

Track the element until it leaves the screen.

Copy all the anchor data to the null again (from the start frame).

Repeat as neccessary.

You will need to scale the video up a bit after, and maybe cheat a little by adding position keyframes to the video layer, depending on how jerky your footage is...

A Voila.

• 11. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
                              matt.choules Level 1

Sometimes where the "crossovers" are there is a little skip, this is where you might need to add two keyframes to the position of the video and shift the video to compensate. I find that softening the keyframes with F9 helps alot too.

• 12. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?

Yeah, certainly an interesting workaround to the problem. Why didn't I think of it?! Thanks for sharing.

Mylenium

• 13. Re: Stabilize Motion on a panning shot?
                                  EdEditz

I know this is an old thread but

for any one experiencing the same problem of needing to stabilize a long panning shot then here's the link to a tutorial that explains all without the need for scripts and such.

http://aftereffectstutorials.blog.com/2011/06/19/stabilize_a_long_pan_in_ae/