10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 2:57 PM by Harm Millaard

Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....

pjmay

I receive this error message whenever I try to to export a file to flash media server...

file - export - media...

I am editing video from a Sony HDSR11 (AVCHD) and it has been working  fine up until yesterday when for some strange reason I couldn't find any of the AVCHD files in the navigator, only the .jpg files.

I reinstalled Premiere Pro CS4 which solved that  problem but left me with my the current error message as stated above.

Any idea what could have happend to make this happen? What is happening? and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
          Fighting Sticks Level 2

Hey pjmay,

Try - goto this site's 'Support banner', click - goto 'Knowledgebase', click - type 'optimise CS4 XP', Enter.

Observe and follow this Adobe Tech Note to the letter.  That should fix that nasty problem.

• 2. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            I am editing video from a Sony HDSR11 (AVCHD) and it has been working  fine up until yesterday when for some strange reason I couldn't find any of the AVCHD files in the navigator, only the .jpg files.

This part sounds like the Assets have been moved. Are you working from an external HDD, by chance?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
              pjmay Level 1

Yeah Hunt I am using an external hard drive. The strange thing about that was that all the files were in the correct places on the ext HD and were accessable with other programs like sony vegas and the sony motion picture browswer that came with the camera. In Premiere the only thing that registered as 'supported files' in these folders were the jpg pics I have in there.

Anyway when I reinstalled Premiere that problem was solved and the crashing problem appeared

• 4. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Anyway when I reinstalled Premiere that problem was solved and the crashing problem appeared

So what do you mean: Was it solved or did the crashing problem appear?

This makes it hard to understand what you mean.

• 5. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
                  pjmay Level 1

Sorry if that wasn't very clear Harm, let me try to explain in a little better.

1. I was happily editing video with premiere then suddenly the AVCHD files were not being recognized by Premiere!

2. I reinstalled Permiere which solved that problem and now I have no problem editing with Premiere.

3. After editing some video I went to export them to Adobe Media Encoder to convert them to .flv and I recived the error message and the Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....' appears, I click ok and premiere closes.

I hope that makes it a little clearer... any ideas?

• 6. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

That clears it up for me. Thank you.

Can you start AME (Adobe Media Encoder) and just encode one of the files from your project. Does it give you the same crash? If it does, a repair install of AME may help. If it encodes without problems, AME works and the problem may be in your project or timeline. If you create a new project, import the existing one into it, does it encode OK or do you still get the crash? If both approaches above failed, you may have to check your timeline for plug-in effects/transitions or blank spaces. Remove these for the time being and try encoding again. Does it work?

• 7. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
                      pjmay Level 1

AME starts no problem and I can import the Premiere files (File-->Add Premiere Pro Sequence) and enconde them but I can't change the presets to the custom setting I was using.

In Premiere I am able to create a new project, import the files put them on the timeline etc no problem. I am also able to open any of my projects in Permiere the problem only happens when I click file-->export-->media

One thing I did notice since reinstalling Premiere is that there is now audio in 'audio line 4' that I didn't notice before.Before I only remember the video line and nothing in any of the audio lines. It also seems strange that there is nothing in linds Audio 1, 2, or 3

Not sure if that could have any relevance to the situtation.

• 8. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

It may mean that your source material is mono, because in a standard project there a 3 stereo tracks and when you import a mono track, it automatically creates a 4-th audio track for the mono sound.

That leads to the question how you transferred the files from the SR11? I thought that camera did not record mono.

• 9. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
                          pjmay Level 1

Harm I have two different ways to record the auido with the SR11.. I use the standard 5.1 multi directional microphone or in some situation I use a the Sony bluetooth microphone I bought additional which is 2 channel. I think import the video to the computer using the standard software that came with the camera... SONY - Picture Motion Browser.

I then use the file explorer on Premiere to locat the files on the hard drive and drag them to the time work area

• 10. Re: Error: Sorry, a serious error has occurred.....
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Possibility: You import 5.1 sound from the camera, it creates a 4-th  sound track (5.1), which is denoted at the beginning of the sound track as such.

You export (possibly without having the Minnetonka Surcode plugin) and AME gets lost in the audio encoding. To try if this is a correct assumption, try to export first video only (if it works at least we know it is not a timeline problem), then export audio only. If both exports work, I'm out of suggestions and it may be time to contact TS, unless it is a multiplexing thing. Otherwise report back where it went wrong, on the video or the audio.