2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 4:28 PM by Ansury

Is AIR Framework can communicate with other apps ?

viking972

Hi !

I'm currently looking at the developpement of a Flex/Air WebRadio Application...

And i would like to know if it's possible to see using AIR the title of the song currently playing in the AIR Apps into the Windows Live Messenger status ? like some others application do ? If this is possible using AIR ?

I would like to know if it's possible to made an Alarm in Flex ? For exemple my Air user decide to lunch the app at 12pm, automaticly the App start...

Some simple things but are they able in flex ?

Thank's very much for any answers...

Best Regards

Hugo

• 1. Re: Is AIR Framework can communicate with other apps ?
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I don't know what the API is to WindowsLiveMessenger.  AIR can access the file system and clipboard and sockets.

You can write an AIR app that hides on the toolbar and effectively runs in the background.

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

Adobe Systems Inc.

Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

• 2. Re: Is AIR Framework can communicate with other apps ?
            Ansury Level 3

If other applications do it, it's probably possible, but that doesn't mean it won't be a challenge.

First you'd have to learn how the API to Messenger works.  If Java can interface with it, then Air can do this for you via Merapi or Artemis (older I think).  If you need to use some other language like C# or something (this is likely since it's Microsoft), you'll have to research a way for Flex/Air to call into that.  There may not be an easy answer if the Messenger API isn't very flexible. 

Unless it's changed very recently there's no way for AIR to call an exe that may do this update for you, either (short of interfacing with Java, which can do this).  This is my biggest complaint about AIR.