3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 10:48 PM by Mylenium

Strange Open_GL Error on AE startup

rkthndr

Hi All,

I'm running into a bizarre open_gl error on startup that I can't seem to find any info on.

The error is as follows...

After Effects error:  Couldn't find main entry point for AE_OpenGL.plugin (48::72)

I can click ok and it doesn't seem to be effecting renders or anything in the program, but it is annoying to have that keep popping up.

I'm on CS3 (8.0.2), MacPro with Leopard 10.5.6 with 6GB RAM and a ATI Radeon X1900 with 512mb VRAM.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Best,

Ryan

• 1. Re: Strange Open_GL Error on AE startup
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Have you tried updating OSX to make sure you have all relevant updates?

The error code listing on Mylenium's site would indicate that checking your system for updates may be a good path to pursue.

If you've done so, and the problem persists, you could disable OpenGL by temporarily moving the plugin outside of the plug-ins folder.

Also, what effects are you using in your project? Perhaps one of them may be causing your woes?

• 2. Re: Strange Open_GL Error on AE startup
            Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

I don't think updating the Mac OS will help with this (it won't hurt either, of course).

I don't think moving the OpenGL plug-in is necessary either.

In fact, a very likely reason why you're seeing this error message is because the OpenGL plug-in was probably moved manually from the specific folder it should be in, to the root of the Plug-ins folder or the AE folder itself, and then an updated copy got installed in the original location.

Try to see if this is the case, the OpenGL plug-in is called AE_OpenGL.plugin, and it should reside in Plug-ins/Extensions. If there's a duplicate hanging around in the Plug-ins folder or the main After Effects folder, it may be the culprit. Just delete that duplicate.

• 3. Re: Strange Open_GL Error on AE startup
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I agree, a duplicate could considerably throw things off traack and effectively disable all OpenGL. You're even lucky that it doesn't crash the program right away. I'd definitely check if indeed you have multiple versions stil lfloating around. If that isn't the case, It's possible that some update didn't go right and anotehr component such as DynamicLink or Mediacore is affected. This can happen when you are in a suite (Master Collection etc.) or use e.g. Premiere and Encore, also. Letting the apps check for updates and running the Adobe Updater may fix the problem as well...

Mylenium