3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 3:41 PM by Sean_Wilson

Audio Slider control like itunes for Director sound?

bobnagel

I have been asked by a client to add a slider bar control for the audio in a new project. The Director project is very nonlinear with the ability to navigate to almost any page in the 60 some page tree to any other page. Each page can have from 8 to 80 audio files associate with it. So far I have not used any sound sprites in the score but have used lingo to assign cast member audio to a sound channel and control that channel through lingo. I have seen that there is a behavior for RealAudio files that will utilize a slider bar. However I am not sure from the documentation I have read as o how to utilize RealAudio files in my project. I have read that the RealAudio sprite must be in the score for the behavior to work. Do I need then up to 80 sprites of RealAudio in the score? Or can I have one sprite and point it to other cast RealAudio members? Is it possible then to play from a playlist and still have the slider control of the sound channel? Has anyone had experience in using a slider control with very dynamic sound changes? Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Audio Slider control like itunes for Director sound?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Can you explain what your audio slider would do? Does it relate to volume, or playing position within the duration of the member, or something else?

FWIW I would recommend staying well away from RealAudio. For starters it will require that your users install it and you'll find an awful lot of resistance to this.

• 2. Re: Audio Slider control like itunes for Director sound?
            bobnagel Level 1

I need the slider related to playing position, so that you can slide to a

position along the duration of the member.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Audio Slider control like itunes for Director sound?
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
              I need the slider related to playing position, so that you can slide to a

position along the duration of the member.

So what exactly is the problem?

You are using Lingo to play sound files so it's simple to notify the slider when a new sound file is played (so that it can reset its position to the zero-point). Then the slider needs to monitor sound(channel).currentTime regularly and set its position - dictated by zero-point + (currentTime * slider_range/duration). When the slider is being dragged you probably want to stop or pause the current sound and re-start it from the appropriate currentTime when released. Does that sound about right? Are there other things I've overlooked?