21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 5:35 PM by the_wine_snob

CS4 Premier does not "Export"

AtlasApollo

Hi,

Something happened to my Premier CS4 and I am confused, hoping you can help please.

When I make a timeline, and click on "export", the Media Encoder does not come up.  Premier seems to go into a modal mode, where nothing can be accessed, except unless I click on ESCAPE first.

I am not sure what could be causing this.

Can you please tell me how this can be fixed?

Thank you,

Mike

• 1. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

We need to know a lot more about your system, your Project, your version of CS4 (updates), and also your Assets. The more, the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
            AtlasApollo Level 1

Thank you Hunt, I will answer as much as possible, if I leave anything out, please let me know and I will get it ASAP.

The computer I am using is:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7045/SYS-7045A-CT.cfm

Running latest BIOS

2 XEON Quad 2.50MHz

16GB RAM

1TB OS Drive Mirrored

2TB Data Drive Striped + Mirrored

Running Vista x64 SP1 -- all updates applied

Premier Pro CS4 Version 4.1.0 (MC:166418)

Thank you,

Mike

• 3. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
              AtlasApollo Level 1

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the project is using the AVCHD preset, and the footage is AVCHD as well.

Thank you,

Mike

• 4. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Can you start AME (Adobe Media Encoder) and does it work? Is there any specific reason you did not update to SP2?

• 5. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                  AtlasApollo Level 1

Hi Harm,

Yes, I can open AME manually and it does work seperately.  This means that from AME I would use the "Add" functions to load jobs into the queue.

However, if I am trying to get Premiere to trigger AME, it doesn't work.

If I open Premier and use the "Export" command, AME is not launched.

If I manually open AME and then from Premier click on "Export", AME is not effected at all -- there is no additional job added to the queue.

I haven't upgraded to SP2 because I wasn't aware it existed.  I am downloading it now and will install it and report back.

Thank you very much Harm.

Cheers,

Mike

• 6. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

Have a look here, specially steps 5 & 6: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408983.html

Hope this helps, otherwise a repair install of PR may be needed.

• 7. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                      S Kelley

I'm running into exactly the same thing today.  It's like the export settings window is there, it's just invisible.  I've tried exporting with different projects with the same result.  The major difference with my system is that I'm running a Windows 7 beta.

• 8. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Did Harm's link furnish you with any ideas? Yes, the OS is different, but the fix might be the same.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                          S Kelley Level 1

Hallelujah!

Step 6, Recreate Preference Folders, in Harm's link fixed it.  Thanks for the help!

• 10. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Glad you got it working!. Now give me the points, because I want to amongst the winners to go to Adobe HQ (on my own expense of course, you know Adobe) to explain what they should fix urgently.

• 11. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                              S Kelley Level 1

You tell me how to give you the points, and they're yours!  I didn't create the thread though, I just happened to be having the same problem at the same time as AtlasApollo.  Can I still give points?  I'm not seeing any options to do that, but I'm new to the forums so I may be missing something.

• 12. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Only the OP can do that.

• 13. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                  S Kelley Level 1

Gotcha,  well maybe I'll open a thread asking how to give points, and you can answer that one for me.

• 14. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There has been much discussion on those "points." I think the one with the most at the end of a certain timeframe, will be flown to San Jose for lunch in the Adobe cafeteria. Obviously, that would be a bigger deal for Harm, than say for me in AZ. Hope that Harm gets the lay-flat seats in First Class!

Hunt

• 15. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                      AtlasApollo Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the excellent suggestions!

Good news is: It all seems to be working now.

Not so good news is, what it took to get here...

I went to install SP2 for Vista, and it totally bombed my system.

This eventually required a reformat, and a re-install of everything.

After all is said and done, I am working on a clean machine, with all service packs and updates applied, all CS4 updates applied, and life is good.

Like a fresh spring morning in my computer.  :-)

I am very grateful to everyone who helped with info and concern.

Because there are several of you who contributed to the answer, I am not sure who to give the points to.  Can I give points to everyone?

Thanks again,

Mike

• 16. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The fact that SP2 gave so much trouble is indicative of pollution you had gathered in the course of time. To avoid that in the future (you have now completely reformatted and reinstalled, so now your system is clean) I suggest you download http://www.ccleaner.com/features which is freeware and does an excellent job of keeping your system clean. Another utility I like very much to keep your registry clean is http://www.1clickpcfix.com/index.html

Both should be in your toolbox.

You can give 3 different posts points, one for answered and two for helpful. Just click the button below the post.

• 17. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

It looks like you got the points, or maybe that gold star was because you were good at recess and came in, when the bell rang!

Hunt

PS tell us all how the Adobe cafeteria's food is, please.

• 18. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

Every 24 hours I have a short recess (some call it sleep, for me, maybe an acquired custom)

I think I will keep my indigestion, caused by Adobe food at their cafetaria to myself and under wraps, unless I am pleasantly surprised with a nice 7 pound Maine lobster, accompanied by a nice Baron de L'. BTW, what vintage do you suggest?

• 19. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on the prep for that Adobe lobster, I'd first reach for a Montrachet with some years on it, or maybe the '05 and have it caraffed ("decanted" in the terms of red wines). For a touch more acid a nice Meursault would be in order. Again, '05 was good, but is still quite young.

Now, considering that you'll be dining in San Jose, maybe a Shafter Red Shoulders Ranch Chardonnay, or a Paul Hobbs Central Coast Chard.

Enjoy, and let us know how it was...

Hunt

• 20. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Which one would you prefer with that Maine lobster:

'01 Chassagne-Montrachet Vergers, 1er Cru Michel Colin-Deleger

or

'05 Chassagne-Montrachet A.C. Bouchard Pere et Fils

Just curious, since it appears that you have to pay the trip and stay yourself. The criticism you give is free however.

• 21. Re: CS4 Premier does not "Export"
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

'01 Chassagne-Montrachet Vergers, 1er Cru Michel Colin-Deleger

or

'05 Chassagne-Montrachet A.C. Bouchard Pere et Fils

I'd probably go with the Domaine Colin-Deléger, especially as Les Vergers is one of my favorite vineyards. Michel Colin is a master of white Burgs in my book. The ‘01 is a fantastic wine and is drinking well now. I’d guess that it’d still have another good ten years, depending on what one wants in a white Burg. In general terms, the ‘01 vintage is rated slightly below the ‘05, but that does vary by exact properties.

OTOH, we did a tasting with Henri Bouchard about 4 mos. ago. Besides some of his family’s red Burgs, and a Chablis venture wine with Favere, we had the ‘05 - ‘07 Puligny-Montrachets and the same years of their Chassagne-Montrachet. There was no Bâtard-Montrachet poured. I bought my allocation of the ‘07 of each and expect shipment soon. The 2001 vintage was nearly excellent for most properties, so that is a very worthwhile wine. I’d have to check my notes, but think that we had the Chassagne-Montrachet, and I’m almost sure it was the ‘05, in New Orleans two weeks back. Again, I would carafe this wine to open it up a bit.

As a négociant, the wines from Bouchard Père et Fils can be a tad less even, than something from Colin. Still, they are great producers, and are also buying more property, from which they will be producing more of their wines, from the dirt to the bottle. More and more "estate wines."

I’d guess that the Bouchard would likely be less expensive, so the final choice might boil down to it, should $ be an object. If one wanted it to drink as if it had more years on it, more time in the carafe and the glass would give one the impression that it was older, than it is.

In short, either would be an excellent wine. I’ll share my cellar with you, if you share your cellar with me!

Hunt