5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2009 5:13 AM by Impulse Fire

legit website for after effects?

Impulse Fire Level 1

ok so i dont have a very well paying job considering im pretty young but i have about 600 dollars and i found this site that sells adobe after effects for about the amount of money i have saved up

the site is called ztechsoftware.com and i just want to make sure its legit and the license key wont be activated or anything

the reviews online are pretty great but i just want to know what you guys say about it

• 1. Re: legit website for after effects?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

I am not sure, Impulse Fire.

From some reports, they seem to be selling academic or even pre-owned versions of software applications to non-academic customers.

Bear in mind that this would not only be illegal, but also a very bad deal - the actual prices for Adobe academic software are much lower than this. Also note that an academic license doesn't allow you to use the software to make a profit or make any other commercial use.

I don't really know if these claims are true. But I would be very, very cautious.

A quick search shows that amazon.com (for instance) offers After Effects CS4 (Win) for $799. That's a pretty amazing price for a proper, retail version of AE.

• 2. Re: legit website for after effects?
            Impulse Fire Level 1

yes i have seen that one too but its still 200 dollars more than i can afford

also about the academic version

whats the main difference is there no updates for it? does it not include certain plug ins/effects or tools?

and how can you know if it is being used for profit or commercial use (not that intend to)

but whats so different from it that makes it like 700 dollars cheaper?

ALSO if i were to want to buy the full version could i just upgrade or would i have to buy the full version at full price?

• 3. Re: legit website for after effects?
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Impulse Fire: I really want to help, but please understand that this can get further and further away from the boundaries of what's acceptabe on this forum. Please let's not keep going in that direction, all right?

Selling academic software to non-academic customers is illegal. I won't discuss pros and cons.

If that really was the case, above all they would be ripping you off. An academic license of After Effects CS4 is only $349, if you qualify (ie, you are a student or teacher at an educational institution).

• 4. Re: legit website for after effects?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                whats the main difference is there no updates for it? does it not include certain plug ins/effects or tools?

No, the software is feature complete and fully functional. Any free bug fix updates will also be applied to it. It can be updated to a full commercial version later on, but I'm not sure if you can upgrade versions based on academic/ educational pricing.

but whats so different from it that makes it like 700 dollars cheaper?

Because it has a difference license and Adobe want to encourage people to use their software. Everybody does it. You can get Microsoft Windows and Office for free on universities and many 3D programs are also very cheap for students. It's a three way thing: Students will learn the tools they wil luse in their professional carreer, they are happy to get it for cheap, Adobe (or any other vendor for that matter) is happy to have a lot of potential new customers for the future. Everyone gets something out of it - within the limits stipulated by the special licensing scheme.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: legit website for after effects?
                  Impulse Fire Level 1

oh.. sorry my bad