If I have to do a lot of re-organising to a table, I use the nasty, manual method:
1. copy and paste into Excel
2. sort and make any changes
3. save as htm.
4. open in a text editor and strip out all the MS coding - the text editor I use allows regular expressions, so I can build some search and replace scripts to help.
5. copy the table only and paste it into the RH code view. Depending on how confident I am, I might do this after deleting the existing table code, or I might paste it below, just to check everything is working correctly.
6. Re-do the borders, styles, padding, etc.
It nasty and time consuming, but it works. After this, usually it's just moving one or two things, so I can do that relatively easily in the RH editor.
My main reason for this method is a don't trust MS html and find it easier just to re-format, rather than have MS and RH code fighting.
Other possibilities are:
* copy the html generated by Excel straight back into your topic.
* copy into Excel, then copy and paste to Word, then import the word document.
* Maybe it's possible to import an Excel spreadsheet?
I haven't tried these options, but they sprang to mind as possibilities.
I feared it would be a long, tedious fix .
Thanks for this Amber; I'll let you know how it goes.
After sorting my data in Excel, I was able to save the spreadsheet as a .htm file, then import it directly into RH. RoboHelp included it in the project file list, and I just copied the table into the appropriate existing topic, then deleted the imported file. Time consuming, but easy.