4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 10:27 AM by Newsgroup_User

performance issue for Repeater

flyingworm
      I have a Repeater which has a dynamic number of DataGrids. The dataprovider is a XMLListCollection. When users try to refresh the page, I re-populate the XMLListCollection data and refresh the Repeater. I found that even the data keeps the same every time, the refresh will become slower and slower, like there is something in the memory need to be cleaned. I tried to clean the dataprovider every time, but it's the same. Any suggestions? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: performance issue for Repeater
          Level 7

"flyingworm" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gamjnv$fg2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have a Repeater which has a dynamic number of DataGrids. The dataprovider
          >is
          > a XMLListCollection. When users try to refresh the page, I re-populate the
          > XMLListCollection data and refresh the Repeater. I found that even the
          > data
          > keeps the same every time, the refresh will become slower and slower, like
          > there is something in the memory need to be cleaned. I tried to clean the
          > dataprovider every time, but it's the same. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Make sure that you're recycling the children of the repeater. Also, don't
          bind the dataProvider. Instead, just set it from Actionscript.

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: performance issue for Repeater
            ntsiii Level 3
            When you say, "refresh the page", exactly what do you mean?

How many items in the dataProvider?

Have you tried setting recycleChildren="true"?

When you say "clean the dataProvider", do you mean re-assign some variable to the repeater's dataProvider Property?

Used incorrectly, repeater can have performance issues, but I have never see the progressive behavior you describe.

Tracy
            • 3. Re: performance issue for Repeater
              flyingworm Level 1
              Thanks, Amy and Tracy.

It's a little better after I used recycle children and removed dataProvider binding.

The number of items (dataGrids) is dynamic. It could be 70. Each datagrid has 3 to 20 rows. It takes about 10 seconds to refresh the page.

yes, "clean the dataProvider", I mean re-assign some variable to the repeater's dataProvider Property.
              • 4. Re: performance issue for Repeater
                Level 7

"flyingworm" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gb0ib2$n11$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thanks, Amy and Tracy.
                >
                > It's a little better after I used recycle children and removed
                > dataProvider
                > binding.
                >
                > The number of items (dataGrids) is dynamic. It could be 70. Each datagrid
                > has
                > 3 to 20 rows. It takes about 10 seconds to refresh the page.
                >
                > yes, "clean the dataProvider", I mean re-assign some variable to the
                > repeater's dataProvider Property.

Are you using custom itemRenderers in the datagrids? Depending on what they
                are, they could be part of the problem as well.

HTH;

Amy