5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2009 7:39 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem with unknow errors Compiling movie

jesskaat Level 1

Hello,

I just had a new Video card installed. It's the SAPPHIRE HD 4850 X2 2G/1G GDDR3 PCI-E.

I had a large project (60 minutes) on the harddrive in the computer, which had to be moved to accomodate the card. The project was working fine previously. I had to off load the project and reload it after the drive had been moved. When I tried to load the project, it had to relink with all of the files. It did that just fine, but, now I cannot play the movie, or render it. I don't know where these errors spring from - the re-linking or the new card. I've been working on another much smaller project with no big problems.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Jessica Vecchione

• 1. Re: Problem with unknow errors Compiling movie
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I had a large project (60 minutes) on the harddrive in the computer, which had to be moved to accomodate the card.

Do you mean you have only 1 harddisk? What do you mean by "moved'? Physically placed in a different bay?

I had to off load the project and reload it after the drive had been moved.

Why?

None of this makes any sense. I can understand that if your case is very small and you install a bulky video card, you may need to move a disk to another bay. But why off load a project in that case? That makes no sense.

If you had to physically move your single hard disk to another bay, your case/chassis is too small for editing and cooling, because of the lack of space to add at least 2 additional hard disks.

• 2. Re: Problem with unknow errors Compiling movie
            jesskaat Level 1

Sorry, I had to change the motherboard at the same time. I have three hard discs in my case - a 150 gig c: drive (for programs etc.) and two discs (striped raid) 765 gig. My computer guy said he couldn't put the drives on the new motherboard with data on them and set up the raid correctly. So, I backed the project up on another drive and then re loaded it onto my striped raid. When I first loaded the program, it had to be pointed to the clips, but, once it did that, I thought it would be all ok. It's not.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jessica

• 3. Re: Problem with unknow errors Compiling movie
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm getting the picture now. The problem likely is with the new raid versus the old situation. The best way to go about this is by replicating your old folder structure on the raid and the project scratch disk settings in preferences as they were in the old situation. As an example, if you had your media located in D:/Video Projects/Client/Tape 1 and your project file in D:/Video Projects/Client/Project 1, make sure that on the new raid you use the exact same directories. Also make sure that the scratch disk settings are the same as they were before. It may require rerendering, but it should work.

If you still get the unknown error, we have to look further, but then we need to know more about your source material, sequence settings, installed plugins, etc.

• 4. Re: Problem with unknow errors Compiling movie
                jesskaat Level 1

Thank you. I'm going to look over all that and report back.

I uninstalled PP last night and tried reinstalling it twice and twice the installation failed. PP appeared in my program list and I was able to start a small project, but, it didn't running properly. i.e. I tried to render it and it wouldn't render everything - clips froze etc. Also, titles were lost which I created in ProDad - heroglyph.

I'm re-downloading PP right now and will try reinstalling it again.

I hate computers!!! I thought I was doing a good thing by upgrading my video card!!!

• 5. Re: Problem with unknow errors Compiling movie
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm surprised that you lost your Heroglphy Titles, as they are usually Exported as AVI. I'd guess that once you get PrPro installed and running properly, when you re-install your ProDAD plug-ins, things will work fine from then on.

Good luck,

Hunt