5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2009 8:58 PM by Jim_Simon

editing avchd xmp

scr33nNameIsUnavailable

When I import an AVCHD clip directly from the AVCHD folder on my camera into Premiere CS4, I can edit the file's XMP using the Metadata panel. Premiere creates an XMP sidecar. Fine.

However when I copy the same file to some random folder on my Mac and import it from there, the Metadata panel reports that the file is "Not editable". Huh!?

What's going on? Why is Premiere refusing to create/ edit xmp sidecars in some situations and not others?

Bridge is completely broken in that it refuses to edit xmp sidecars under all circumstances.

This is pretty frustating. Any way to work around these problems in Bridge/ Premiere or any other CS4 application?

eamonn

• 1. Re: editing avchd xmp
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

A total shot in the dark here, but if you copy the sidecar to the same folder as the copy of the clip can you edit the metadata? (I'm not at my editing workstation, so I cannot try it for myself.)

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: editing avchd xmp
            scr33nNameIsUnavailable Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't help when I copy the xmp sidecar along with the clip.

Seems like Premiere is looking for the entire AVCHD folder hierarchy - which makes no sense to me.

eamonn

• 3. Re: editing avchd xmp
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Seems like Premiere is looking for the entire AVCHD folder hierarchy

I believe that's true for all tapeless media formats.  The entire folder structure needs to be kept in tact.

• 4. Re: editing avchd xmp
                scr33nNameIsUnavailable Level 1

It may well be true for other tapeless media and there's undoubtedly some reason that Adobe did it this way for avchd but I'm at a loss to understand what the reason might be. It makes no sense to me. Bridge (and I suppose Premiere) for example can edit xmp in Quicktime video files regardless of their location. Why not avchd? There's no good reason. Bridge should be able to generate xmp sidecars for any (use configurable?) file type in which it can't embed it. Premiere should at least be able to edit xmp for file types it supports.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm out fo luck!

eamonn

• 5. Re: editing avchd xmp
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm at a loss to understand what the reason might be. It makes no sense to me.

I hear ya.  The MXF container format was specifically designed so that a single file could hold video, multiple streams of audio, timecode and various metadata like exposure, zoom level, date recorded, etc.  Why Panasonic chose to use a proprietary implementation of the MXF format for the P2 cameras is beyond me.

Tapeless media cameras, using a proper implementation of the MXF container format, could very easily create single clips for every stop/start of the camera.  No "folder" structure required.  But some idiot technocrat muffed it up on the design table, and now we're stuck with it.