7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 11:16 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

No presets / effects at all?

JayB84

I recently got the trial of after effects and instantly I have a problem-  there are no effects or presets at all.

Here's what I see when I go to effects, and my system specs.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5524/kkpq.jpg

Is there anything I need to install to add the effects/presets?

• 1. Re: No presets / effects at all?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Just to rule it out (please take no offense if it's too obvious), effects only are available when you have a layer selected, right? If you don't select any existing layer, all effect categories would be greyed out, just like in your picture.

Did you try the Effects and presets panel?  Window > Effects and presets. Since some presets can be thrown into the Composition even without any layer selected, they should appear there.

• 2. Re: No presets / effects at all?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

They're all there, or else they wouldn't show up. You need to create a composition and add the layer to it to be able to use effects. Please read about Compositions,Layers and Effects in the online help or check Andrew Kramer's AE Basics tutorials. Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding something here? If you know al lthese things and are experinceing a technical problem, then I apologize. In that case, most likely you are suffering from a graphics problem and need to check for newer drivers.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: No presets / effects at all?
              JayB84 Level 1

No offense taken, I appreciate any help given.

I used sony vegas before I tried the trial, and don't know how to create a new layer in AE. When I click on layers it is greyed out like the same as my effects tab.

Also, for the second answer, is this what you mean?

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8798/daa.jpg

Thanks for the quick response.

• 4. Re: No presets / effects at all?
                JayB84 Level 1

Haha, what a stupid mistake.

Thanks mylenium, it is working now - I just had to make a new composition and layer and I have all my effects.

facepalm, sorry for wasting your time!

• 5. Re: No presets / effects at all?

Jay:

There are millions of ways in which you create layers in After Effects. That link posted by Mylenium to AE Help would really... help

For example,

• Dragging any item you imported from the project panel to the Comp or Timeline panels, will create a layer.
                  • Using the text tool will create a new (text) layer.
                  • Dragging with the shape tools will create a new (shape) layer.
                  • Layer > New > Solid will create a (would you guess?) new solid layer (a plain color, rectangular layer).

Once you create a layer and select it in the timeline or Comp panels, effects will be availble.

No, that panel you posted is the Effects Control Panel. It's what you use to set and tweak effects.

The Effects and preset panel lists all... effects and presets, and includes a seach field so they're easier to find.

• 6. Re: No presets / effects at all?
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check the Menu: Composition --> New, then simply drag&drop your footage from the Project Window into it. It wil lbecome your layer. A composition matching your footage dimensions can also be created by drag&dropping the footage on the respective icon (the little film strip)  at the bottom of the project window.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: No presets / effects at all?

But of course, for any of this to work, you first need to create a Composition!

Composition > New Composition